Thread: Internet Speed

Internet Speed

I've always subscribed to fibre optic companies for supplying an internet connection.

Many years ago Manchester was one of the first cities outside London to receive fibre optic broadband. In fact the company called Nynext set up their main hub and HQ just a mile from my home.

It's changed hands many times but I've stuck with them as I get a good deal.

I was on 150 MB but was given a free bump up to 200MB! They only offer this if you ask to be upgrade

I've also been supplied with a new Virginmedia Wi-Fi 'Hub 3.0' - a fancy name for a router.

i've noticed on an indépendant speed checker that it has reached speeds of up to 240MB which outstrips its advertised speed.

Lucky you getting that speed. Up here I am quite happy with the 35mb to 40mb I receive as some people I know are still getting less than 10mb. I am with PlusNet and I changed to them from EE as I was only getting 1.5mb. So to me 35mb is fast.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Lucky you getting that speed. Up here I am quite happy with the 35mb to 40mb I receive as some people I know are still getting less than 10mb. I am with PlusNet and I changed to them from EE as I was only getting 1.5mb. So to me 35mb is fast.
    10mbps I wish........lucky on a good day to get 2mbps here. I changed from Plusnet after 10 years to SSE as they were cheaper and had a good deal on new customers, I'll switch back to PN and get a new customer deal when SSE time is up.

Been with BT since 2007, exchange unbundled in 2013 but BT still had best deal.On ADSL getting 7>8 Mbps. Went onto fibre FTTC in 2015, line good for 80Mbps but opted for 52Mbps service, and get full 52 steady.... Happy enough with that........I pay line rent in lump sum annually, leaves about £16.50 for internet and anytime calls per month.....Very used to haggling with the retentions team though to get best deal going. Router is Homehub5, very good kit.

What features does the Virgin Media Hub 3 have?

Virgin Media offers superfast broadband, so it needs a super-powered router to handle that. And sure enough, the Hub 3 is capable of supporting download speeds up to 1Gb. That's more than enough, even for VIVID 200 - and means it's future-proof enough for any improvements the provider makes to its services later on.
    It's got Wi-Fi, of course - dual band, so it can connect multiple gadgets at once without speeds slowing too much, and the latest wireless standard (802.11ac). It's also got the latest wireless security (WEP/WPA/WPA2), and ships with an inbuilt firewall.
    You'll find four ethernet ports on the back, all of which are capable of transferring data up to 1Gb speeds, and two telephone ports. Right now, those phone ports can't really be used for anything, but word on the street is that Virgin Media could launch VoIP (voice over IP) services at some point in the future.
    What does the Virgin Media Hub 3 look like?

It actually looks like of like a speaker, or like a very small avant-garde office building. It's white, rectangular, flat-ish, and has two big textured sides. The thinner panels, however, are where all the action is going on.
    The thin panel at the front is where you'll find:

• The Wi-Fi light, to tell you whether the router is broadcasting Wi-Fi
    • The internet light, to tell you whether the router's connected to the internet
    • The phone light, which doesn't do anything
    • The base LED, to tell you whether the router is switched on
    • The WPS button, for quickly connecting your gadgets to the Wi-Fi

On the back, meanwhile, you'll find:

• Two telephone ports, which don't do anything
    • Four ethernet ports, for directly connecting your devices
    • A reset button, which sets the router back to its factory defaults
    • The plug for the coaxial cable
    • The power switch
    • A port for the power cable

It's super easy to set up - all you really need to do is plug in the coaxial and power cables, then switch it on

I like the ideal of the phone ports as I’m with VM myself but with the SuperHub 2.

I have broadband only so use Sipgate VoIP for phone but use a separate modem connected to the SH2 and having those two ports built in could save me a bit of wiring. I wonder if those phone ports can be configured for use outside of Virgin Media.

That said I’ve only got the Sipgate setup for relatives who don’t use mobiles so they call me at landline rates.

From Expert reviews, Feb 17..

BT Smart Hub: The best ISP-supplied router there is

Price when reviewed: £75 (for existing customers, including delivery); free to new customers; £130 for everyone else

BT’s Home Hub 5 was a revelation when it was first released, but BT has improved on it with 2016’s BT Smart Hub, bringing it bang up to date and improving both speed and range significantly.

It has an impressive tally of Wi-Fi technology inside, with a total of seven internal antennae, 4x4 MIMO 802.11ac wireless in the 5GHz band and 3x3 MIMO over 2.4GHz.

Its theoretical speed is 1,700Mbits/sec, a big improvement over the 1,300Mbits/sec maximum of the previous Home Hub. Most importantly, the latest BT router performs superbly, delivering impressive speed and stability at close and long range.

As with most ISP routers, you don’t get a huge range of features to play around with, but of all the ISP routers we’ve tested this is the best.

If you're an existing BT Broadband customer, you can get one for £75, including delivery, which is a bargain; and if you’re upgrading your service or a new customer, it’s included with your package.