Thread: ESA and working tax credits

ESA and working tax credits

Hello all

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm new to this and don't really understand it well
    I need some advice on ESA and working tax credits.My husband has just won his appeal tribunal for ESA as he suffers with chronic anxiety and social phobia. He is not working and I am working 16 hours a week (I can only work that much as we have a small daughter I have to look after). We get child tax credits and used to receive working tax credits before my husband was unwell, but I have read that if you receive the disabled worker element of WTC, my 16 hours working would be enough for us to claim WTC again. As my husband has chronic anxiety and social phobia, would that class as a mental illness recognised by WTC? He is unable to work because of this and has been placed into the ESA support group (Income related) with a recommendation that he is not reassessed for 24 months, as they feel that if he is made to work, his illness will get worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as trying to read government guidelines on this is confusing and they don't really cover his illness
    Thank you

As far as I'm aware it has to be the disabled person working for that element of working tax credits to be applied.

He could however look into applying for PIP?