Thread: Writing to ESA to inform them of changes?

Writing to ESA to inform them of changes?

Hello, I live with my parents due to my disability and recently had my girlfriend move in with me. I was told by the CAB that I should tell the DWP but we have had no luck in getting through to ESA on the phone. Is it ok to inform them via a letter or do we have to just keep trying? Im on contribution based ESA in the support group.

Thanks all.

Yes, you can do it by letter but make sure you do it recorded delivery or at least get proof of postage. Also, photo copy the letter in case they try and challenge you.

Quote Originally Posted by Timalton View Post
    Hello, I live with my parents due to my disability and recently had my girlfriend move in with me. I was told by the CAB that I should tell the DWP but we have had no luck in getting through to ESA on the phone. Is it ok to inform them via a letter or do we have to just keep trying? Im on contribution based ESA in the support group.

Thanks all.
    Why do you have to tell the DWP that your girlfriend has moved in with you and your parents? You are not on any Income Related benefits are you?

Honestly I'm not sure why it would have any effect but the CAB seemed to think I should. Its possible they thought I was on income related ESA though.

Its good to know its possible to do it via post, thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by bspm View Post
    Why do you have to tell the DWP that your girlfriend has moved in with you and your parents? You are not on any Income Related benefits are you?
    I disagree. You MUST always inform DWP of any changes to circumstances especially if someone moves in with you (or moves out) as it may affect your enitilement to benefits. It's better that they are informed than not as you could be in trouble if you are found out or reported and risk prosecution if you are seen to be claiming more than you are entitled.

However, I agree this may not make any difference if it is income related but it's best to be open and honest from the start.
    Just call me Rasy