Thread: Need more help

lorraine

Need more help

I have Low Rate DLA care which has been in pay for about 19 years now. I have had diabetes for the last 10 years which I cannot get under control and as a result have more health problems which I feel would qualify me middle rate care. I know I run the risk of losing my lower rate by reporting my new problems but think it is time to try. Should I fill in a new application form or do I need to telephone them to report a change. Also will it matter I have left it for about a year to ask for the change, I have been under eating disorder clinic and psycology clinic and have not felt well enough to approach them knowing the anxiety levels it causes.

You diabetis came on well after your DLA award. That and other changes should really have been reported to DLA as they happened, but don't worry too much about that. If you feel you need more daily care and support I would seriously consider going for it. But it would be best to ty to get help from your local CAB or other advisor first.
    Having a claim looked at again is called a 'revision', and you need to ask for a form to complete. Your advisor would help with that and guide you through it. The delay of a year should be easy to explain considering what you have been going through so don't worry about that either.
    Normally, as an advisor myself, I would be cautious about going for an increase from low rate care. But with PIP due to start before long I would be looking at the grounds for your exisitng DLA award, and if that was on the basis of the 'main meal test' only I'd now be more inclined to go for an increase in preparation for the change.

I agree. So many of us are afriad to rock the boat. My tribunal panel when I appealed the refusal of my DLA advised me to reapply, after I had said I was worried I would lose it & have to face another appeal. I had become worse while waiting for the appeal.

At the end of the day if someone feels their condition has gotten worse & this affects their ability to function further, enough to raise their DLA level, then they should not be afraid to go for it. If someone is confident in their situation, being able to back it up with evidence, etc, it is worth trying for. There is always options to fight if it comes to that.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

lorraine
    thank you for the advice I have looked at the rules for the new PIP and I agree i would probably loose my award anyway eventually as it was for the main meal test as I have carpel tunnel amongst other problems with my hands.

Yes, do not think PIP yet, it could be 3 or more years before you have to face that. You may also find you would get something under PIP. As for now, as both Dave & I said, if your condition has worsened then you might get higher rates of DLA now, which would mean more money now. Even if you were to lose that under PIP.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Sorry Davewhit but being able to push a button on the microwave certainly won't satisfy low rate care criteria for PIP. Only the finer points for PIP are yet to be agreed. Granted the criteria are still only in draft form, but they are now at the stage of considering assessors, and it starts to roll out next April. OK - only in one region to start with - but it will soon be upon us.
    Hopefully lorraine won't be one of the early ones to change, but the truth is we just don't know. And as Stephen says more DLA now would mean more money until whenever, whether that is a year or 4 years.

I can almost press a button, I cannot carry food, especially hot.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen