Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Badge experiences: The Good, The Bad and the Ulgy!

Blue Badge experiences: The Good, The Bad and the Ulgy!

Thought it would be good to have a place to share our blue badge stories.

Do you have any experiences good or bad or even humour that relates to the blue badge scheme and disabled parking?

Rasy
    Just call me Rasy

Quote Originally Posted by CrippledLassie View Post
    Thought it would be good to have a place to share our blue badge stories.

Do you have any experiences good or bad or even humour that relates to the blue badge scheme and disabled parking?

Rasy
    My wife has a BB. Her son is self employed and has a transit van. She often goes out with him in the van. If they are stopping in town, then if one is free they park in a disabled parking space. It is amazing how quickly the traffic wardens run if they happen to be there, thinking they will get an easy ticket, only to be disappointed when she puts the BB up.

I can relate to that as I also drive a van although it's not a transit.
    I get a lot looks and tuts because I'm young and therefore get "oh she doesn't look very disabled..."
    Last laugh is on me when they see me get out my vehicle.
    Just call me Rasy

What really angers me is people who park in a Disabled Bay with no Blue Badge on Display. The section of people who abuse this are folk who hove just reached the age of being entitled to a State Pension. They believe that if they receive a State Pension that they then can Park in a Disabled Bay. Makes no difference if they are Physically Fit they still park there as they are of a Certain age and as such they do not need a Blue Badge.

Crazy I know but some OAP's believe that because they are entitled to a State Pension then that makes them entitled to park in a Disabled Bay without a Blue Badge.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

When my partner was looking for her first motability car, we went to our local VW dealer to look at a Golf and noticed both the blue badge spaces we're occupied by cars in for service/repair (the disposable plastic seat covers gave it away). We mentioned it to the motability rep who said she'd have a word with the service people. When we went back for a test drive the following weekend the same had happened again. We didn't mention anything at the time but when the rep called us back a few weeks later I did take a degree of pleasure in telling her we would be having a Golf but not from her, we went to the next closest dealer instead

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    What really angers me is people who park in a Disabled Bay with no Blue Badge on Display. The section of people who abuse this are folk who hove just reached the age of being entitled to a State Pension. They believe that if they receive a State Pension that they then can Park in a Disabled Bay. Makes no difference if they are Physically Fit they still park there as they are of a Certain age and as such they do not need a Blue Badge.

Crazy I know but some OAP's believe that because they are entitled to a State Pension then that makes them entitled to park in a Disabled Bay without a Blue Badge.
    Yes totally agree. There is a culture of those who "deserve" when it should be those "who are entitled".
    Many get to a certain age and see disabled parking as their absolute right as if it's a pensioners privilege.
    So you find more and more older people casually use these spaces without entitlement. They are the ones that tend to tut and point at me before I've got out my car. They can't see my chair when I pull up into a space.
    The best bit for me is the wait and watch and then see how disabled I am - I usually just smile and wave but often I am not so calm on the inside.
    Last edited by CrippledLassie; 03-13-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    Just call me Rasy

Parking Wars ITV Disabled Parking

Have you seen this programme that was shown on ITV a while ago?

Notice how lenient they are with the older lady for misusing her sisters blue badge - what are your thoughts?

https://youtu.be/rt-OhN6FQzk
    Just call me Rasy

Don't know if certain areas are worse, but north west, those who abuse disabled parking spaces, so blatant & without care for authority (whatever that maybe!).

Recall parking in BB space Asda car park, near entrance & also close to ATM cash machines...(you know what's coming). A BB space was empty to my left having just been vacated & I noticed a small hatchback, driving the wrong way against the 1 way directional arrows and park in empty BB space. It was the fact that car had approached driving against direction arrows that caught my attention.

I waited to see if it was a BB holder, not because it was a young woman early to mid 20's. She leapt out of car and straight to cash machine, no blue badge. At this point, angered, as other people looking for BB spaces, I got out of car with pretence of 'sorting boot'. I think she knew I was about to say something as she turned around from cash machine back to her car. I used the premise saying to her that car park has recently seen wardens walking around (there are the normal signs around advising of fines for misuse of BB spaces) & that she may have forgotten her BB. Immediatley, she replied, that she didn't have a BB, as she didn't need one, doing a little jig as she informed me, followed up with the comment, that there was nothing I or anybody could do anything about it.

At this point, I replied that BB spaces are not here for her banking convenience, to which again, came the response, 'for me, yes it is'!

When you're up against this, really does enrage that there is nothing we can really do about this fact, especially when dealing with disabled spaces is supermarket car parks, are law is different. Just wish rules and regs could be changed, in our favour, for once!

I agree! The law says disabled spaces must be provided but enforcing them on private grounds like supermarkets is not a legal matter. It merely relies on the good will of people. It's such a pity as this is becoming more of a problem. I've only ever seen enforcement at 1 supermarket and that was on a single occasion at Asda.

At my local Tesco they have taken down ALL of the large disabled parking signs without replacing them.
    What is that all about??!!
    Just call me Rasy

If I see anyone doing it, I'll always say something to them. If they don't move or they get offensive, I take out my phone and pretend to take a picture. If anything is said I say 'I shall be reporting you, I'm sure your fine will be in the post shortly'. I have the satisfaction then, in the knowledge that they will be worrying about a fine for at least a couple of weeks.

On the few occasions I've been able to, I've actually blocked their car in. When I've returned later to find an irate driver, I politely point out that the space is not meant for their use and as I use a wheelchair I had no choice but to block them in.