Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Badge experiences: The Good, The Bad and the Ulgy!

Hi RR (know you changed name but preferred when you were Raspberry...even better if Strawberry!) May well be that Tesco, as 1st of main supermarkets, got rid of ALL signs, possibly due to BB holders complaining to security staff & others, regarding the abuse, when I suppose, tescos might only see this as pain in the ar$e, since no enforcement! Just a thought.

In a council car park in a local town I did see a car in a BB space with no BB showing, that had a parking ticket on it. Good for them I thought. The next time we used that car park hubby had to put 2 wheels on the yellow bay line so to give me enough space to get out as he had to park at the end of a line.
    When we got back to the car a chap in the next bay pointed it out and said that he had got a ticket for doing the same in the same bay (wife was a wheelchair user) He appealed it and didn't win so it had to be paid. We were so grateful to him for telling us.
    The BB spaces in that particular car park are free whereas in a normal bay, BB or not, parking is payable.
    Just shows how keen that area is which in itself is a good thing.

Hi RR (know you changed name but preferred when you were Raspberry...even better if Strawberry!) May well be that Tesco, as 1st of main supermarkets, got rid of ALL signs, possibly due to BB holders complaining to security staff & others, regarding the abuse, when I suppose, tescos might only see this as pain in the ar$e, since no enforcement! Just a thought.

Hi spencer69 good to see you on here, sorry you preffered my old name. Had to change it as I closed my old details and they have been removed from the site. I like my new name and did take a while to choose it. I call myself a crip and lassie is Scottish so perfect for me. Raspberry Ripple was Cockney rhyming slang for Cripple so there was a link.
    Like the Strawberry idea though!
    Just call me Rasy

Thanks Beau for sharing that.
    I heard of a similar story one of my friends got a ticket for a back wheel being over the line. She was a BB holder.
    Thought it was unfair also.
    Just call me Rasy

Under certain circumstances ie having to park at the end of a line next to a wall there is no option but to pull over a little. In the rest of the bays there is extra space both sides.
    I thought it was unfair and in spite of the explanation on appeal the fine still had to be paid.

We never use that bay now unless it is unavoidable.

brightonbelle
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post
    ............. At this point, angered, as other people looking for BB spaces, I got out of car with pretence of 'sorting boot'. I think she knew I was about to say something as she turned around from cash machine back to her car. I used the premise saying to her that car park has recently seen wardens walking around (there are the normal signs around advising of fines for misuse of BB spaces) & that she may have forgotten her BB. Immediatley, she replied, that she didn't have a BB, as she didn't need one, doing a little jig as she informed me, followed up with the comment, that there was nothing I or anybody could do anything about it...............At this point, I replied that BB spaces are not here for her banking convenience, to which again, came the response, 'for me, yes it is'!....................When you're up against this, really does enrage that there is nothing we can really do about this fact, especially when dealing with disabled spaces is supermarket car parks, are law is different. Just wish rules and regs could be changed, in our favour, for once!

here's a tip for you.
    Don't get mad, get even.

Instead of telling the next one that a warden might spot em.........tell them some random mate/relative/neighbour of yours has just got their fine in the post...courtesy of the CCTV cameras identifying culprits for the benefit of the private car parking firm. Then show them the nearest cctv camera (if not near the entrance look at the nearest light).........watch for them looking for the camera....and then tell them not only have they got the licence plate.....they got a clear pic of the driver.

smile sweetly and walk away. Leave them to watch the post for the next 8 weeks. No fine, but they might think they just got lucky that time.

As for stores using the blue badge signage. Point out to them that use of the signage implies they abide by the same rules as that to the highway. They don't have to but the default position is in the absence of their own criteria, the blue badge criteria may stand. Depends on how much they have followed the marking out of the bay, and if they use the official blue badge sign....they cannot be made to follow the criteria, but they have to have a defence of how they implement and monitor their own criteria - especially when defending the giving of a parking notice. If they don't use a parking company, they are on thin ground. If they do use a parking company...then its up to that companies rules.

This may explain why some supermarkets are removing the blue badge signage. Maybe no signage goes up and no more disabled parking...or they might have parking company signs and will have disabled bays. That would be good, the imposters will be more likely to get targeted.
    Last edited by brightonbelle; 03-13-2017 at 07:42 PM.

I use to get strange looks and/or questions when I parked my Jaguar XK in a disabled space. When the wheelchair was removed from the boot then they tended to just walk away.

Even when using a space at one of our regional offices security demanded to see the BB before allowing me to park, despite booking the space beforehand. Once in the local Sainsbury's someone demanded to see my wheelchair, BB was displayed. I refused as I had just packed it in the boot.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Hi CR, Never too old to learn something new...didn't even realise Raspberry Ripple was cockney rhyming slang. Shame you had to think of new name and never understand why some sites not allow to retrieve old user names, but heyho! Read your explanation for name change in other post & no worries with you calling yourself CrippledLassie (only say this as think someone took a little umbridge with use of word), but on this point, there are names I call myself, between myself and my partner & 1 or 2 other very close family. Doesn't mean we are calling others, or certainly that it isn't meant in any demeaning way.

And TY, BB, know all you say is correct, and to be honest, have many times bit my tongue, save on that 1 occasion. You never know how you are going to be treated, especially after news report, sometime ago, but where BB holder remonstrated with non BB holder, which resulted in disabled being punched (am sure ending was even worse, but can't confirm from memory).

There needs to be stronger rules and regs. Anyway, rant over.

\
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    If I see anyone doing it, I'll always say something to them. If they don't move or they get offensive, I take out my phone and pretend to take a picture. If anything is said I say 'I shall be reporting you, I'm sure your fine will be in the post shortly'. I have the satisfaction then, in the knowledge that they will be worrying about a fine for at least a couple of weeks.

On the few occasions I've been able to, I've actually blocked their car in. When I've returned later to find an irate driver, I politely point out that the space is not meant for their use and as I use a wheelchair I had no choice but to block them in.
    The new parking act which is due to go through the Scottish parliament this session, me put the fear of death up some drivers.
    Ones through, it will be illegal to leave or any part of a vehicle on a pavement, penalty being three points and £60 fine for every wheel over the Kerbline. I also believe that large organisations such as Asda and Tesco will be required to police disabled parking bays