Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Galaxy 2.0TDCi Titanium X 5dr

Ford Galaxy 2.0TDCi Titanium X 5dr

We will need to choose our next motor fro the April price list. After looking extensively at all the cars which fit our list of desireables, the Galaxy automatic dieslel is the one which ticks all the boxes.
    Has anyone got any experience with this motor - good and bad?

Teri

All I can offer is the automatic gearbox is fantastic it's smooth you can't feel it changing, never owned a ford personally but know a few people who have, and never looked back! Good luck in your search

Thank you for that. We have a Citroen Grand c4 at the moment and the gear change when pulling away is very erratic - sometimes smooth but mostly seems like it doesn't know which gear to choose making it look like we're learner drivers
    A smooth gearbox will be great.

Teri

A close friend of mine had one of those I test drove it from Newcastle to Dumfries it was awful the gear changes were so jumpy it was a semi automatic if I remember I decided to just use the flappy panels instead and it used far less fuel on the way home! I definitely would not recommend them, some will probably disagree with me but the car did have good points, the space of the car was great, and comfortable seating was also a good point, I would choose a fiat over it probably

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    We will need to choose our next motor fro the April price list. After looking extensively at all the cars which fit our list of desireables, the Galaxy automatic dieslel is the one which ticks all the boxes.
    Has anyone got any experience with this motor - good and bad?

Teri
    Hi

I can only speak of owning 4 Ford cmax with the last one being in the garage from new more times than I drove it! That said the powershift box is very good with not much delay at junctions. With the weight of the galaxy I suspect thought you might struggle to get around 45mpg. You could also consider the S Max this has a similar sized boot too. Its a shame motability dont do the higher engines like the 180bhp version it would probably be better at pulling the weight and better on juice. £2500k deposit though ouch!!

Good luck with your choice.

I do like the citroen very much apart from the jerky gears when pulling away. It is pretty bad on ice but using the manual paddle in 2nd gear makes it much easier to handle on ice. To be honest, that is the only time I hae used the paddles. Maybe I should try pulling away in manual and see whether it is a smoother ride.

Teri

Lightbulb

If you want smooth auto gear changes along with good fuel economy then you have to look at manufactures that use or have developed Dual Clutch auto boxes.

This used to be just cars in the WAG group with the likes of Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda but I know that some Vauxhalls and Kia’s have double clutch boxes as do other.

It’s the main reason I always drive a VW since becoming disabled, that and the fact it fits nicely on my short driveway with just 3 inches to spare.

Thanks for info Chris.

Teri

The Ford Galaxy 2.0TDCi uses a twin clutch gearbox therefore the automatic gear changes should be smooth as silk.

Excellent choice IMO, the only downside is heavy depreciation - which shouldn't bother a Motability customer.

Thank you Number 7. This is very reassuring news. I just hope it is still on the scheme come April 1st.

Teri