Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA and BF223 form

ESA and BF223 form

Please help! I am currently on ESA assessment rate and had to ring and cancel my appointment for the second time today and the person I spoke to informed me that there would be a form sent out for me to fill in to give my reasons for not attending but I just would like to know if that means by ESA will be completely stopped as I didn't attend the appointment due on Saturday and I am due payment on Monday don't know what I am going to do if this doesn't happen
    Thanks in advance

Can i ask the reason for rearranging the 1st appointment? just that some things don't actually count, such as requesting a different venue due to it being on a 1st or 2nd floor, and due to having mobility issues you can't do stairs (H & S ) in the event of fire ect, or if you requested the WCA to audio recorded (as that wouldn't be your fault if they had to re arrange it )
    Also if the location of the venue is more than 90mins travel time using public transport in either direction they cannot compel you to attend , travelling time starts when you leave your home, and ends when you enter the venue btw

They may stop/suspend it pending your reasons for not attending being accepted or not, or they may pay you upto the saturday

Thanks for your reply. The original appointment was cancelled because my friend was unable to bring me due to work and the same this time. I am unable to go places alone due to my mental health and have nobody else. How would I find out about the payments being suspended?

My advice is now keep a written diary of all names, dates, conversations, etc., because you now need to assume you are going to have to go to a Tribunal because the Law states if you fail to turn up at a medical assessment you are considered fit for work. You now have to prove you had a good cause for not attending. What may seem like a good cause to you and me will not be considered such by DWP if they can possibly help it.

A BF223 is a 'Good Cause enquiry form'.

It is the form they send out to ask why you did not attend a WCA appointment.

It is your chance to explain why you did not attend, if they your reason as 'Good Cause' for not attending then they make a new appointment for you.

When was your appointment meant to be?
    (First of all you said today, and then you said it was 'due on Saturday').

If your appointment was not due until next Saturday then they should not mark it as 'missed' until you don't turn up, and should not send the BF223 form out until after that.
    It is Maximus/CHDA that send the form out and you send it back to them.

If they accept that you had 'Good Cause' for not attending they will make another appointment.
    If they do not accept that you had 'Good Cause' then they will pass it on to a DWP Decision Maker.

Which means the DWP will probably not find out about it until well after Monday, after your payment is due.

I'm not sure at just what stage they stop your ESA payments.
    Elysium should be able to tell you that, he is going through the same thing.

If you want to know the procedure that the DWP Decision Maker uses once he is told you did not attend the WCA you can find it here, starting a 42480, what is accepted as 'Good Cause' is covered from 42496 onwards.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...44/dmgch42.pdf
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The appointment was scheduled for this Saturday and I rang them today to rearrange it but was told I would be sent out the form instead. So the advice is to just wait for the form to be sent and out hopefully they will think I have a good enough reason. What is the probability of this?

Have you requested a home. Visit

Your benefit will stop from the day after the missed appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayteigh View Post
    Thanks for your reply. The original appointment was cancelled because my friend was unable to bring me due to work and the same this time. I am unable to go places alone due to my mental health and have nobody else. How would I find out about the payments being suspended?
    Your best bet is to get a doctors letter saying that you cannot go out alone but need someone else to be with you.
    Unfortunately they are unlikely to just take your word for it.

As for payments being suspended, I think you should be OK for this week, and then you have 2 weeks to get it sorted out before the next one is due.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

My missed appointment was the 9th and they stopped my benefit claim as of the 10th but as ESA is paid 2 weeks behind you should get your next lot of money. My next payment was due on the 24th of the month but didnt turn up but I didn't get a formal letter til the beginning of the following week.

If you can get support from your Dr giving you a letter saying you need a Home Visit then they MAY accept that as good cause. However from experience they may well not so be prepared to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. My MR was actually very quick and I got a negative reply by about 10th of the next month and it was looked at again with further evidence by 16th.

However, I would still err on the side of caution with your next payment. It shouldn't stop til they have rejected your reason but you never know. When they act it's very quickly!