Thread: Scary moment in the car . . . and Fish insurance breakdown

Scary moment in the car . . . and Fish insurance breakdown

My can is presently in a garage unscathed but not well. For some reason the engine revs were raised even though I hadn't pressed any harder on the accelerator - it was like it had become possessed!

I think it might have something to do with the engine management system - you know the computer brain that oversee's the working of the car. It could be expensive to repair. The garage will do some diagnostic testing on Monday! Here's hoping they find something!

Sorry to hear your car misbehaved LT, if it's a petrol car ? I'd be doubting the throttle body is gummed up or the throttle position sensor may need replacing - a simple vacuum leak could also be the problem ?. Anyway, what did the Fish man say ?

Yes it is a petrol driven version. Well as the car accelerated at high revs under its own steam I just turned off the ignition as it didn't feel safe to drive. I called the Fish breakdown and they thought that was sensible so sent a low loaded pick up truck to take my vehicle to a local service/repair shop.

Now this is a service designed around disabled people and I knew that I wouldn't be able to climb into the cab being a wheelchair user with only one functioning arm. Well, I was told that the low loader would give me lift home. I just assumed that Fish would organise a taxi to take me and my wheelchair home. No! I had to call a local black cab company and fund my own journey home.

Just seems a little unfair to me. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Now this is a service designed around disabled people and I knew that I wouldn't be able to climb into the cab being a wheelchair user with only one functioning arm. Well, I was told that the low loader would give me lift home. I just assumed that Fish would organise a taxi to take me and my wheelchair home. No! I had to call a local black cab company and fund my own journey home.

Just seems a little unfair to me. What do you think?
    They should have organised a taxi for you. Having been in a car crash on the M3 several years ago, and the car requiring a low loader and me being a full time wheelchair user, my recovery service were happy to arrange a taxi pickup (from the M3 hard shoulder). In the end my wife went in the low loader and I was kindly offered a lift by the police
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Think I read something similar about Fish Insurance a while back. Time to look around for another insurance when yours is up for renewal. Some of these small recovery firms are much better and offer a really good service as they use local recovery agents meaning the wait for help is quite short.

Looks like you've identified a massive flaw in Fish's breakdown service...grrr

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    My can is presently in a garage unscathed but not well. For some reason the engine revs were raised even though I hadn't pressed any harder on the accelerator - it was like it had become possessed!

I think it might have something to do with the engine management system - you know the computer brain that oversee's the working of the car. It could be expensive to repair. The garage will do some diagnostic testing on Monday! Here's hoping they find something!
    Hi

I use fish for their car insurance but for the breakdown its all included with my bmw on its lease.
    However the AA and RAC do disabled breakdown packages have a look at those although would mean paying extra for it.

I've just bumped my car and using motorbility for the first time. Really impressed with their attention to detail. Taxis have been offered as well as getting me a courtesy car with a hoist for my wheelchair. I'm really happy with the service I'm getting.