Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car tax exemption - Wife is disabled - can husband use the car for himself?

My mom as the exemption tax and my dad is the driver he never goes in it without her a few years ago he took us to the hospital as mom going in for surgery overnight on the way back the police were doing something in area and pulled us over i explained the situation and they said the car cannot be used without the person who excemption is for in it as i had my blue badge and my moms admin hospital letter with us they let it go but said he couldn't pick her up the next day as same thing could happen and they would take it further. I got mom in taxi a week later she rang the dvla to see what was the rules she was told that technically the police are right the disabled person as to be in the car whenever in use and that if a person is dropping that person off at hospital or event etc makes no difference and a lot of times if police do stop you then it's upto them what they want to do. As i say this was a few years ago so things might have changed best thing to do is ring dvla and find out what the letter if law is.

Blog Entries
    Don"t have these problems with the 50% discount. (or do we?)

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    My mom as the exemption tax and my dad is the driver he never goes in it without her. A few years ago he took us to the hospital as mom going in for surgery overnight on the way back the police were doing something in area and pulled us over ... they let it go but said he couldn't pick her up the next day as same thing could happen and they would take it further.
    I can only call that absolutely ridiculous. Your mom was taken to hospital in the car and would be fetched home in it. Did the police(wo)men really expect you to leave the car at the hospital and get a taxi home?

We do need a test case in court and your situation would have been ideal.

I checked with CAB and they suggested, based on Motability, that it is OK for me to use it for routine things.

I doubt it would be allowable to use it as an Uber car and accept a paying passenger. Even that may be acceptable as an occasional, one-off thing, but definitely not as a full time occupation.

I don't think that being insured is conditional on having the car taxed but I will call my insurers just to check.

There are at least 50 Shades of Grey here ...

Quote Originally Posted by mooz View Post
    Don"t have these problems with the 50% discount. (or do we?)
    mooz

That is a very interesting question - presumably the answer is yes. What do the words on the application form or information sheet say?

Blog Entries
    JohnH. I just fill out the reminder and send it off with my mobility notice, MOT and log book. I have had nothing in writing from DVLA, to say anything on the way i can use my car. If there was, it could only be enforced for 50% of the time. (mind blowing)