Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buses and Wheelchairs

Buses and Wheelchairs

An explanation of the wheelchair vs buggy argument for anyone who's interested:

http://disabilityunited.co.uk/2017/0...ride-well-yes/

Mums with pushchairs are nuisance, some pushchairs are quite large (twin buggies) etc & walk on the bus full of arrogance. A lot of today's generation only consider themselves unfortunately.

Another point I would like to make is reserved seating for disabled people on buses too. Usually occupied with a bone idle physically fit person withe their shopping bag / rucksack etc on the seat as well.
    Last edited by gus607; 31-03-17 at 11:53.
    Call me Mike.

Yes, I agree; people can be incredibly selfish. It seems this type of person always occupies the seats closest to the door so they have less distance to walk.

Although I'm a wheelchair user, I'm still quite a generous person and would not expect a mum with toddlers to take the baby out of the buggy to make room for me - I could always take the next bus. If she only has the one child in a buggy though, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect her (or him) to do so. The buggy can be folded - I can't.

Sky excellent thread - agree wholeheartedly with all that you've said here.

Thanks Rasy. I've only recently started using buses with a wheelchair and so far my experiences have been positive.

That is until yesterday, when an impatient and grumpy driver decided to pull away again (instead of putting down the ramp) as I was trying to get off.

If it hadn't been for another passenger shouting at him, it could have been nasty for me and my Assistance Dog, let alone the other passengers around me.

He didn't even apologise.

I have emailed his employer.

Goodness Sky that must have been aweful. Grrrr would have made my blood boil!
    Maybe we should start wearing cctv on ourselves or even just a cctv sticker so people think they are being filmed.
    I have had taxis refuse to take me even though the taxi has a clear disabled symbol and a ramp.
    Either they don't stop or driver has a "medical refusal entitlement card"
    RUBBISH!!!! Homemade "can't be bothered to get out the ramp card" more like!

Yes, nice to be invisible isn't it?

Hello Sky , that is Lovely of You that You would not take the disabled space if a mum was there with Her children and baby in the buggy and even wait for the next bus . I wish there were more like You in our world .

Just thought I'd say that

Here's another interesting read - http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com...e-access-laws/

Waking bus drivers up to the fact that they could be prosecuted as criminals should hopefully have some effect.

Never mind the other passengers the bus drivers pose a problem at times in our area!

Some view a person in a wheelchair a nuisance and my daughter and her support workers have encountered various problems in the past.

I was with her on one occasion and the driver of the bus wasn't up to the curb enough. I needed to stop my daughter getting on. We eventually got on after the driver shunted about a bit --- and then the same thing happened when we were getting off!!

On another occasion daughter and support worker were left to wait until the next bus came along as the driver claimed he hadn't a ramp on his bus - this was a lie which my daughter knew - it was backed up by the person my daughter spoke to and complained! Daughter was told that bus 'did' have a ramp!!
    Sea Queen