Thread: Becoming a couple and our ESA

Question Becoming a couple and our ESA

Hi all

My fiance (he proposed on the 15th, my birthday) and I are going to be informing the ESA folks that we are a couple next week.

I was working self employed, but my disabilities (pain mostly) mean I am giving it up this friday.

Now I am a bit concerned because I have been working, on how it will affect my fiance's ESA. I have been through the calculators (with myself as a partner not in work due to disabilities) and it shows we should get the full amount for a disabled couple. We both have several disabilities and he gets the full DLA and I get high PIP for care and low pip for mobility. He is currently on ESA (support with SDP).

I was getting Working Tax Credits until this friday, but they are giving me an extra four weeks from that date.

can someone put my mind at ease please and explain any potential pitfalls?

To start with I read that at first that you got engaged on your 15th birthday. LOL.

You seem to be doing things right, you have checked with the online calculators already.

So now your best route is to make an appointment with a local benefits advice centre (CAB?) to get that double checked because the online programmes can't cover everything.

Until you move in together and become a couple then nothing should change.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

lol @ 15.....

We already live together. first was mutually beneficial; but we grew closer and he decided to ask if we should become an official couple as we both understand each others complexities. I am on the social tenancy as a 'lodger with permission' and they will not change that until they see a marriage certificate.

we have been living in the same 2bed flat since last may. we will keep our separate bedrooms as I cannot sleep in a bed with anyone (sets off my anxiety).

complicated enough yet? lol

also in September I am going to do a HND so there will be the whole student loans thing then.....

You realy do need some face to face advice from CAB or similar.

From what you now say I would be a bit more worried at the past/current situation than the future.

Never mind the Housing Association classing you as a lodger; the DWP may well see things differently and say you should have been claiming as a couple since you moved into the same flat.

That won't affect your respective DLA/PIP awards, but they could say he should give back the ESA because he had a working partner.
    That would also depend on whether his ESA is Contribution Based, or Income Related, or a bit of both.
    I'm assuming it's at least partly Income Related as you say he gets the SDP.

There may also be a problem with the SDP itself, normally he would have to be classed as 'living alone' to qualify for that, but as you both also have DLA/PIP then it should be OK if you are living as a couple.
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiu...rt/eligibility

I'm not sure if having a paying lodger means you are still 'living alone' or not, (but I think it does).

You don't have to be married to be classed as a couple for benefit purposes.
    Even having seperate bedrooms does not automatically mean that you are not a couple, many married couples sleep apart.

If you can show that you have been paying him rent for your 'lodgings' then that would show that you have not been living as a couple.
    (Bank transfers, rent book, dated written receipts, etc.)

If you can't show anything like that which proves you were a lodger and not a partner then you may have a problem with the DWP.

You realy do need to sit down with an advisor who can see all your paperwork to get the best advice.
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-29-2017 at 07:48 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
    complicated enough yet? lol

also in September I am going to do a HND so there will be the whole student loans thing then.....
    HND is regarded as higher education opposed to further education. Not sure if this makes a difference with ESA. Good luck though!

I have spoken at length to the CAB and now am a lot more confident and less worried. It's quite simple as we have not done anything wrong I am to simply speak to them next week I already have a record of all the house bills etc that I have been paying to Jeff.

Tonight is my final shift (not sure I will manage more than three or four hours as my pain is already quite bad; but I will soldier through).

The CAB lady sent me some great links. I will speak to the ESA peeps about what happens with my student loan for september. the disability component is not counted as income; but the remainder is - it seems they work out how much you get for term times only (42ish weeks) - they then deduct £10 week before arriving at my NET student income and do something to Jeffs ESA (I am guessing they will take some off to balance it out). Apparently they do this even if I am entitled to, but do not take the student loan

fingers crossed - now to go to my chariot for my final shift. lets hope the punters are all well behaved. I want to finish on a nice easy night.

Thanks all for your advice (I will report back when its all sorted as it might help someone else in the future.