Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 8th June

General Election 8th June

May to seek snap election for 8 June - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39629603

Anyone who is disabled or with a family member who is disabled and votes tories really needs their head examined!

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Anyone who is disabled or with a family member who is disabled and votes tories really needs their head examined!
    Personally I don't think that matters. They are all tarred with the same brush.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Personally I don't think that matters. They are all tarred with the same brush.
    I think it matters a great deal. The conservatives have proven to continue to cut the disabled peoples money and benefits and enhanced propaganda against them also.
    Yes, it does matter, very much.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I think it matters a great deal. The conservatives have proven to continue to cut the disabled peoples money and benefits and enhanced propaganda against them also.
    Yes, it does matter, very much.
    Who is to say that whoever gets in won't continue with the cuts? Remember which party instigated them originally.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Who is to say that whoever gets in won't continue with the cuts? Remember which party instigated them originally.
    Well Corbyn was this morning stating he woild increase carers allowance by £10 a month.

You cannot argue with this governments attacks on the disabled and the propaganda that they put out with it.

Tories are never on the side of the sick and disabled, not to mention destroying the NHS, so those that need it will no longer have access!

Labour....1999

Launching the Bill which includes the cuts, Tony Blair pronounced it the end of ‘the something-for-nothing culture’. Many of the 335,000 people expected to be affected by these changes to incapacity benefit over the next 10 years will have paid much more than something – but get nothing in return”.

Cost of incapacity benefit

The means-testing of incapacity benefit is, according to the spin doctors, supposed to redistribute benefit from the relatively well off to the truly destitute. The impression is given that those to be denied benefit because of entitlement to an occupational pension are relatively wealthy middle-class people who could well afford to do without the paltry £66.75 a week which might mean so much to someone else. The truth is exposed by Geoffrey Lean:

The axe starts to fall when … pensions yield £50 a week: enough with the incapacity benefit to provide the princely sum of £6,041 a year. From then on benefit is reduced by 50p in the pound and is stopped altogether at a pension income of £9,542 (still less than half the average wage). These, presumably, are the ‘relatively wealthy people’ to Mr Levitt (parliamentary salary £47,008 a year).”

Moreover, it is clearly a straightforward lie to suggest that the money snatched from the poor is to redistributed to the very poor, even. This is proved by the fact that the government expects to ‘save’ £750 million a year with these cuts. Who benefits from this ‘saving’? The answer can only be those who would otherwise have to pay higher taxes. In other words, those who benefit are people whose income is sufficient to warrant paying tax. Hence at the end of the day, the redistribution of wealth is, as ever, from the poor to the relatively rich, and especially to the very rich – those who benefit most from lower rates of income tax.

Finally, the government, on behalf of the bourgeoisie, pleads its own poverty as an excuse for slashing the benefits of the poor. If the government is short of funds, however, it is because the fabulously wealthy and the extremely well-to-do, who could well afford to pay more tax, actually for the most part pay very little relative to their incomes and their wealth. As Polly Toynbee, writing in the

Guardian

of 21 May points out:

“The truth is we don’t spend too much on social security. Set to rise at around 2% more than inflation, it level pegs with our rising GDP. If it was taking a growing slice of GDP, there might be reason to worry. Even then there is no ignoring demographics showing how more old people will live longer and more disabled, costing more. No problem. If we followed other European countries we could and should be more generous.”

Thus even by the standards imposed by capitalism, the British bourgeoisie is incredibly stingy! And to the extent that the British bourgeoisie succeeds in slashing the social wage in this country, it will tend to ‘force’ the bourgeoisies of the rest of the world to do likewise, as otherwise the capitalists whose proletarians are better off will be at an ‘unfair’ disadvantage.

The House of Lords may possibly reject the Bill, since ‘Old’ Labour worthies are now Life Peers and dominate the party at that level. They were accustomed in their heyday to distributing crumbs from imperialist superprofits to buy off the revolt of the proletariat, and have not for the most part succeeded in adapting to their bourgeois masters’ new requirements. Times have changed: on the one hand, economic crisis has critically sharpened competition among imperialists, forcing them to cut costs in order to maintain profitability. On the other hand, the collapse of the USSR has for the time being diminished their fear of proletarian revolution. In the interests of maximum profit, the bourgeoisie now feels it can afford to be mean! Be that as it may, if the peers do hold up the passage of the Bill, it can only be a temporary reprieve.

Labour benefit cuts were deeper under Blair

hi i am in labour heart land, and their is no way i can vote for corbnyn, and the people around me will not vote for him, which is sad because we need opposition to who ever is power in the country regards palmer

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    hi i am in labour heart land, and their is no way i can vote for corbnyn, and the people around me will not vote for him, which is sad because we need opposition to who ever is power in the country regards palmer
    It is a shame how he has been portrayed.

He actually has sound policies and has been actually explaining how he can do it these past two weeks. Sadly, that is not covered and somehow the Tories can get away without even explaining how they are going to get brexit and what it will mean, aka more cuts. They can also, somehow get away with election fraud.

A vote for anyone but labour is a vote for conservatives.