Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on what i should be entitled to or claiming

Looking for advice on what i should be entitled to or claiming

I am a 30 m living alone since nov 16
    Registered Disabled
    Was Claiming Incapacity Benefit which then went to ESA Contributions (no idea who or why it went to contributions)
    Was Claiming DLA middle rate care, high rate mobility which is now PIP standard care, enhanced mobility (going to tribunal to challenge the standard care on doctors advice after looking at scoring system)

I have only just found out there is something called severe disability premium and to be honest its all confusing me.
    I rang ESA as some one informed me i would be entitled to ESA Income related aswell as Contributions but the call handler advised me this was incorrect and said i could only get ESA contributions or Income related not both, she then said il send you a claim form, she sent;

A Form with the heading: EXTRA MONEY - SEVERE DISABILITY PREMIUM

A Form with the heading: EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT ALLOWANCE application for reassesment ESA3 10/14

Im just after some advice on whats what in simple terms as looking on gov websites ect i find it all so confusing.

Im always of the mindset not to rock the boat but i honestly cannot afford to live on current income.

My questions i guess are;

1/ what is the severe disability premium
    2/ should i have always had this premium & if so can it be backpaid if so to when
    3/ when i moved from incapacity why did i go on contributions esa (i did briefly work when left school prob earned less than 6k in all employment)
    4/will these chances affect my housing benefit or council tax support
    5/ how much and what benefits should i be getting

Thank you in advance for your help
    Last edited by confusedlancs1; 24-04-17 at 02:53.

If I was you I'd go to CAB and see if they can help or put you in touch with someone who can.Trying to get the benefits your entitled to is a nightmare.What you think you should qualify for you don't and what you don't think you do you do.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiejane View Post
    If I was you I'd go to CAB and see if they can help or put you in touch with someone who can.Trying to get the benefits your entitled to is a nightmare.What you think you should qualify for you don't and what you don't think you do you do.
    what is cab im not used to the abbriviations yet

CAB is Citizens Advice Bureau. You could also try Unemployed Workers Centre if you have one near you.

Initially Incapacity was paid if you had been in work you got contributions ESA because you had paid National Insurance whilst you were in work (hence the contributions title) You can get a top up of Income related ESA with contributions ESA . I think severe disability premium is paid only if you are on high care DLA or enhanced PIP (don't quote me on that)
    Your best bet is to contact Citizens Advice for a full benefit check they can also help you with your appeal for PIP

Quote Originally Posted by oimum View Post
    Initially Incapacity was paid if you had been in work you got contributions ESA because you had paid National Insurance whilst you were in work (hence the contributions title) You can get a top up of Income related ESA with contributions ESA . I think severe disability premium is paid only if you are on high care DLA or enhanced PIP (don't quote me on that)
    Your best bet is to contact Citizens Advice for a full benefit check they can also help you with your appeal for PIP
    Just to confirm that this isn't correct!

Enhanced disability premium

You will get the enhanced disability premium if you are in the support group or if you get:

Disability Living Allowance (high rate care component),
    Personal Independence Payment (enhanced daily living component), or
    Armed Forces Independence Payment.
    This is an extra £15.75 per week.

Severe disability premium

You will get the severe disability premium if you are single and get:

Disability Living Allowance (middle or high rate care component), or
    Personal Independence Payment (standard or enhanced daily living component).
    There must also be:

no other adults living with you (there are exceptions to this)and
    nobody that gets Carers Allowance for caring for you (the Carer's Allowance must be in payment)
    There are different rules if you live with a partner.

The severe disability premium is an extra £61.85 per week.
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 25-04-17 at 09:14.

hi pmlindyloo Enhanced disability premium if you are in the support group is that payed in contributions based support group or income related esa or both if that make sense regards palmer

Quote Originally Posted by palmer View Post
    hi pmlindyloo Enhanced disability premium if you are in the support group is that payed in contributions based support group or income related esa or both if that make sense regards palmer
    All disability premiums are only paid if you are on income based ESA.

hi and thanks pmlindyloo thought so just thought i make sure iam on CB ESA regards palmer

Thanks pmlindyloo and Palmer