Thread: hi newbie: obstructive sleep apnea esa wrag to support group

hi newbie: obstructive sleep apnea esa wrag to support group

hi to all
    my husband has severe obstructive sleep apnea, after struggling with cpap and haveing panic attacks, he gave up on the cpap and hospital years ago and refuses to go on it, sees his own gp now and again, hes on antidepresatns.
    He has fallen asleep with food on the cooker, nearly set house on fire, he is no longer allowed to use it, he gets frustrated and aggressive at times because of his condition,fallen asleep on the bus and missed his stop,consistently tired most of the day. He has been moved from incapacity benefit to esa wrag. Am about to go through the appeal process for support group, anyone dealing with similar problem, advise much appreciated and is he posibbly entitled to any other benefit.

many thanks

I would add, your husband needs help badly. You need it too. I know I am being blunt, but what you have said greatly concerns me about his mental & physical state, also about his & your safety. Does he have a social worker or an occupational therapist? Is there any support he or you are getting?

DLA I agree could be possible. CAB can help.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

hi
    thanks for response and concern, i have booked app with gp for him,i have put this post up as i struggled to find someone who too gave up on their cpap(not to upset anyone,or saying other people that suffer from the same condition should give up on their cpap,as someone got upset on another forum because my husband refuses to use the cpap).
    anyone with this condition will understand how everyday life can be a struggle for osa sufferers, it is very painfull watching the one you love deteriate.
    put in his appeal last week, requested atos medical report and decission makers report, saw a welfare officer to help me with this. this morning have recieved a esa85s persoalised summary statement(atos drs report), i dont see what points awarded on this, could somebody advise me on this,cant see esa85s on works and benefit site, not recieved no decision makers report.

thanks

I am glad you are seeking some help.

I have know of people who stopped using it. The problem is that each case is different. For some it may not be a very bad thing to stop, just cause inconvence. Others it can be more serious. We are not here to judge, just help if we can.

Hope someone can post on the other points. Keep fighting, it can work.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I sympathise with you and your Husband. I have very severe OSA. I have been using CPAP for 3 yrs now and still find it a struggle. I am unable to use it every night and when I do use it, I sometimes only have it on for 2 or 3 hrs. But I am trying my best to persevere with it. I have had different machines and masks, its very trial and error to find a system that works for you. I also have a humidifier unit with my machine as I have chronic asthma, and the CPAP dries out the airway making asthma worse in some cases.
    How long has it been since your Husband has tried using CPAP? It may be worth asking for another referral and explaining everything to the hospital. Maybe a different machine and/or mask could be tried.
    The main reason I keep trying is the other health risks involved with ESA.