Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IS to ESA on SDA, Just wondering why so early

Question IS to ESA on SDA, Just wondering why so early

Is anyone else going through the transfer to ESA thats on the Severe Disability Premium because they live alone? I've had to fill out an ESA50 and just wondered why I'm not hearing of anyone else in a similar position, plenty being transfered from IB to ESA but not IS and SDA. I just thought we were going to be transfered a bit later so now I'm wondering why I'm going through it now?
    Last edited by Mrs_W; 07-05-12 at 16:12.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs_W View Post
    Is anyone else going through the transfer to ESA thats on the Severe Disability Premium because they live alone? I've had to fill out an ESA50 and just wondered why I'm not hearing of anyone else in a similar position, plenty being transfered from IB to ESA but not IS and SDA. I just thought we were going to be transfered a bit later so now I'm wondering why I'm going through it now?
    before the ib to esa transfer started there was talk that SDA would be last and people who had been on IB with no review date ie blind and dla exempt would be first this has not happened in some areas and it seems as each DWP area is doing there own thing

I have no transfer date yet but am PCA exempt under old rules and last time I spoke to area office I asked when I was going to move across and they had no idea

I don't think I had a review date although when I first claimed dla about 3.5 yrs ago just after I was awarded it IB did send me a form which I filled in but then when I rang dwp to see if it had been recieved they said as I was on HRC I didnt need to fill one in so it was cancelled. I don't know if its because of that they want to see me now. I have requested a home visit on the form and not heard anything yet but when they call if they say I cant have a home medical I will ask if they can wait until I get a letter from my GP to back me up

davewhit
    I don't think I had a review date although when I first claimed dla about 3.5 yrs ago just after I was awarded it IB did send me a form which I filled in but then when I rang dwp to see if it had been recieved they said as I was on HRC I didnt need to fill one in so it was cancelled. I don't know if its because of that they want to see me now. I have requested a home visit on the form and not heard anything yet but when they call if they say I cant have a home medical I will ask if they can wait until I get a letter from my GP to back me up
    thats part the reason of leaving SDA till the end like pca exempt people they dont have review dates (i thought) the idea was to as much as posible mover people as there review date came up

you might not need a medical the esa50 might all be thats needed not everyone needs a medical

Do you think I should phone them and tell them I'm on SDA or do you think it may not make any difference anyway? I feel a bit picked on and I'm worried as to why.

The person that phoned to explain about the esa50 being sent asked if I was on dla but nothing else, he didnt ask the rate or about sda he just said I wouldnt lose any money whilst the transfer went on. I'm worried though like everyone else

I didnt mention dla on my esa50 either, wasnt sure if I should

davewhit
    Do you think I should phone them and tell them I'm on SDA or do you think it may not make any difference anyway? I feel a bit picked on and I'm worried as to why.

The person that phoned to explain about the esa50 being sent asked if I was on dla but nothing else, he didnt ask the rate or about sda he just said I wouldnt lose any money whilst the transfer went on. I'm worried though like everyone else

I didnt mention dla on my esa50 either, wasnt sure if I should
    you could call, but I think you will find that some offices have had to change around who gets moved when for operational reasons ....it was never set in stone when people would moved and the last time I read where some one had asked why they where being moved early they was given a load of waffle and nothing happened

The most recent information I have seen is that people on SDA who reach state pension age on or after 6th April 2014 will be subject to the Work Capability Assessment at some time before 31st March 2014.
    If found to have limited capability for work - and providing they meet the basic rules of entitlement to ESA - they will be transferred to contribution based ESA and their SDA will stop. If the amount of ESA is less than the SDA they were getting they will stay on the higher rate until the amounts equalise.
    If they fail the WCA the decision can be appealed.
    If the person gets IS as well as SDA on the grounds of disability, the decision on a transfer to ESA also applies to the IS claim.

Different rules apply to those who get SDA and reach state pension age before 6th April 2014.

Sorry Mrs W - can you just clarify please whether we are talking about the SD Premium of IS here, or SDA (Severe Disablement Allowance.) Your original post states the premium but things then changed in some replies!

I have just looked at the letter I got when they told me I would be getting an esa50 form to fill in and it says on there

You currently recieve incapacity benefit, severe disablement allowance or income support on the grounds of disability, we are phasing out these benefits ect ect

I get income support topped up with disability premiums as I'm not contributionary benefits, I got the SDA because I receive DLA and live alone and no one gets carers allowance for me. I'm not pension age I'm in my 50's

I am just confused about everything and I'm so worried about losing everything including my DLA because I am on my own with no other income and there is no way I could claim jobseekers, I couldnt get there if I lose my benefits I'll have no support at all and lose my house and nothing to live on or pay for care with, I don't even put my own bins out the council do it I could not go to a job center

You are confusing SDA - Severe Disablement Allowance, with Severe Disability Premium. The two are entirely different.

SDA is an old allowance of £69 (plus age allowances) given to those 80 percent disabled or more. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...le/DG_10018894

SDP is a severe disability premium if you live alone and receive other qualifying benefits. It sounds like the premium is what you are in receipt of with your Income support. Therefore you come under "claiming IS on the grounds of disability."

People often get the two confused. I only know because I do receive SDA.