Thread: How long is PIP award for? (Mental Health)

How long is PIP award for? (Mental Health)

Hiya,

I have been looking for people that have been awarded PIP for Mental Health reasons to see how long they got the award for but for some reason can not find anyone. Does anyone have any idea how long the award is normally for before you have to go through the hell again!. Thanks

Everyone's award is different unfortunately. First time round mine was 3 years; this time it's 4 1/2.

Hello heelme

Again, I'm sorry to say it appears random, the length of award given. Although my PIP is for both physical and mental problems, problems that have been deteriorating for several decades. I cannot and unfortunately will not regrow missing body parts, yet it seems the DWP are still holding some sort of hope of this happening.

My original PIP f2f assessment which didn't award me enough points
    recommended re-assessing in three years.

When I was finally awarded standard care PIP the tribunal awarded it for five years. Although nothing is set in stone, as the DWP can just ignore this and re-assessment when ever they like.

Remembering that most awards are re-assessed a year ahead anyway, so that five years becomes four.

I was on an indefinite DLA award for severe anxiety. For PIP I got 5 points for care and 4 for mobility. The assessor recommended reassessing me in 2 years which means the assessment would start all over again in 1 year which would make life extremely hard for me. I'm hoping my MR or tribunal, if they award me at all, will award me for a longer period. I've had my mental health condition all my adult life, and the long term prognosis from my psychiatrist isn't good.

It does see random though the award given for both physical and mental health conditions. For my mum's got a life long physical condition and she was awarded PIP for 5 years.

I must admit it doesn't sound good for me. Even though i have been ill for a long time i am still not sure they are going to give it to me and i think if they do at all it wont be for long. I am going through hell right now and i had no idea that if you finally do get it i could be going through all this again in a year. I think my ESA is due again soon too! If you don't agree to a decision and go to tribunal is there a risk that you might end up getting nothing at all? It's a nightmare!

Hello heelme

If you were to be awarded as an example PIP standard care with say eight points, but you believed you should have qualified for enhanced care at twelve points, firstly you would have to request a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR), giving all your reasons why you believe you should qualify for enhanced PIP.

This MR can take weeks or months.

They usually fail to change the original decision. Rarely somebody does manage to turn the decision around and you will find examples of this in back posts of this forum.

The problem with asking for a MR when you are very close to the award levels, as in your imaginary eight points, means the DWP can always take a way a point or two, they don't believe you should be awarded, leaving you with no PIP at all!

They can and have done this, as you can also read on the forum.

So, nothing changes or you loose points the only way to change this is to go onto a tribunal. This sounds difficult, but the process is fairly simple. Takes approximately six months (well mine did) from the MR refusal.

If you went to the tribunal with your standard PIP of eight points but still believed you qualified for enhanced, BUT the tribunal didn't think you qualified for even the eight points I have read they warn you, your award is at risk and give you the opportunity to withdraw your tribunal claim.

Of course after asking you questions and reading your evidence they equally may well agree with you and award you the enhanced you believed you qualified for, all along.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by buble48; 07-05-2017 at 10:27 AM.