Thread: water meters

water meters

Just to be clear, this is NOT the same as the thread about Smart meters, which are leccy and gaz.

Severn Trent have this scheme WATERSURE, where IF you are on certain benefits and IF you have a medical need for excess water, the bill is capped. However you do have to have a meter fitted and himself is not happy with that.

So, has anyone experience of such a scheme and/or experience of a water meter?

Answers on a postcard please!

Our water meter saves us over 50% on the bill that would be if it was based on rateable value and we do a lot of watering in the garden.
    I don't know if it is still the case but you can/could have the meter removed within the first year if it didn't suit.

Smart meters refer to the type of meter, water/leccy, gas, which can be read, and operated remotely, via wifi.

https://www.ccwater.org.uk/watermetercalculator/

Running this now might be a good reference before we start pouring another

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-a-smart-meter

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/offici...ot-compulsory/

Can it save money, yes, and no, how much can you save/recycle in reject/grey water etc.

We were forced to have a water meter installed and our bill increased.

We do not waste water, do not water a garden or wash cars etc, just normal usage plus my medical needs usage, which is quite large.

I have medical needs for excess water however we are not on income related benefits. I am unable to work due to disability so although my husband works we only have one wage coming into our household.

I believe if there is a proven medical need for excess water and you have no choice but to be on a water meter an allowance/reduction should be allowed, whether on income related benefits or not.

Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    We were forced to have a water meter installed and our bill increased.

We do not waste water, do not water a garden or wash cars etc, just normal usage plus my medical needs usage, which is quite large.

I have medical needs for excess water however we are not on income related benefits. I am unable to work due to disability so although my husband works we only have one wage coming into our household.

I believe if there is a proven medical need for excess water and you have no choice but to be on a water meter an allowance/reduction should be allowed, whether on income related benefits or not.
    As i said initially, Severn Trent Water - where we are - has such a scheme and so will all other providers. So buble48 you should phone up your supplier and find out if you can get help

Thanks redivide, I have, but because we don't qualify for any income related benefits they can't/won't apply any of their medical usage relief to our bill. Ive even put in a complaint, given we as a city were forced to have water meters, but they wouldn't budge.

I've had a water metre for 20 years. Beforehand my water bill was based on the rateable value of my property and as it's in 'Band D' it made more sense to get a water meter. My bills reduced by 50% overnight. If you live in a 'band A' house you probably wouldn't save a lot swopping to a water meter.

Its somewhat different running a dialysis machine which (according to the techs) uses 300 litres per session, 4 times a week. Its wait and see at the mpment.

LT, ours was on rateable value and we are in Band E so you can imagine how much our water rates were. A meter was a good move for us.