Thread: Will my housemate working while claiming ESA effect me?

Will my housemate working while claiming ESA effect me?

I live in Supported Living in a shared house. One of my housemates claims ESA and is in the Work Group plus Housing Benefit. He got a job cleaning dishes in a pub/restaurant last month and this is on the books. He says when they've sorted all his bank dentils out he expects to be paid £600 for the work he has done in July. My support manager is not happy but because he's got capacity she says he has to make his own mistakes. He's still claiming while working.

I suspect when he pays national insurances on his earnings that's going to flag up on the benefit system and he's going to get into trouble?

I'm worried because I'm claiming ESA and Housing Benefit but have a separate tenancy agreement. If the DWP start spying on our house will they monitor me or look into my benefit claim?

Quote Originally Posted by dmorry View Post
    I live in Supported Living in a shared house. One of my housemates claims ESA and is in the Work Group plus Housing Benefit. He got a job cleaning dishes in a pub/restaurant last month and this is on the books. He says when they've sorted all his bank dentils out he expects to be paid £600 for the work he has done in July. My support manager is not happy but because he's got capacity she says he has to make his own mistakes. He's still claiming while working.

I suspect when he pays national insurances on his earnings that's going to flag up on the benefit system and he's going to get into trouble?

I'm worried because I'm claiming ESA and Housing Benefit but have a separate tenancy agreement. If the DWP start spying on our house will they monitor me or look into my benefit claim?
    Unlikely at first, they likely will call him in for an interview as they may have sufficient evidence by the PAYE and NI system the pub likely has CCTV which they may be able of obtain, So unless there is an issue and they need further evidence them covertly monitoring your address or his place of work would be unlikely needed, unless he decided to deny it

His claim has nothing to do with your claim.

His tenancy has nothing to do with your tenancy.

If he does somrthing wrong then it is nothing to do with you.

I don't the rules at your housing BUT I can't see what another tenant does would have any effect on your tenancy.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-08-17 at 19:28.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.