Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple iPhone 8 to be unveiled on 12 Sept '17

Biscuitgazer
    Hmm... Not sure I'd like that pop-up thing, mine requires zero muscle power to hold the phone.

Just ordered my iPhone X online via Apple. It'll take 4/5 weeks before it gets delivered. Roll on 4-11 December!

Over a grand to buy an iPhone X outright, or £117 a month on a contract with Three.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yikes.gif 
Views:	25 
Size:	580 Bytes 
ID:	1910
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...xpensive-ever/

OK it's your money.

I'll stick with my £1/week EE plan.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I use a £5 a month SIM only deal. I've bought the phone outright £999 not a £1000 - remember the insurance company paid £600 towards it. I prefer to buy into new technology that way it lasts longer - all being well.

For the attention of Lighttouch.
    Have you seen this as a Mac lover
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42575033

Hi Beau,
    Yes I’ve been hearing on the news about trouble with chips and possible hacking.
    I’ll just have to wait for a patch from Apple to overcome any possible problems.
    Fingers crossed that I don’t get hit before then!

It's not just Apple, it's virtually every computer chip in the world.
    Any computer any operating system, Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, they all run on the same chip archtecture.

I won't get technical but it's the way chips handle system memory, it's been known about for a while but was being kept kept quiet to prevent hackers exploiting the vulnerability.
    The OS and Browser providers have been working behind the scenes on a patch to prevent exploits.

Now that it is common knowledge every OS and Browser provider is now rushing out their patches.

Unfortunately these patches may slow down performance in some cases.
    This can't be helped, the vulnerability is in a process that helped chips run faster. Stopping this means some chips will run a bit slower.

There are no known examples of this vulnerability being exploited, but no doubt some hackers will now be trying.

So whatever your Computer/tablet/smartphone make sure that you apply any OS and browser patches that come out in the next few days/weeks.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-05-2018 at 05:12 PM.

The slowdown after patching will be on Intel..........Other manufacturers hardly affected...............All makes are affected by Spectre. but it has been around years and no one yet found a way to exploit it...........so has always been regarded as a flaw, but not a vulnerability.
    BUT.........Intel also has a kernel flaw. Exclusive to Intel.....Meltdown...............This is the big nasty/ if Intel apply a patch/fix the it could hit CPU performance by around or up to, 30%.............This is especially concerning for the server side hardware, the really big customers.
    AMD EPYC server chips are looking more appealing than ever to corporate buyers.....
    What I find loathsome is the way intel have tried to deflect the news of their appalling gaff by roping in the old Spectre flaw, so to make it appear that other CPU manufacturers are equally at risk...Not so.....Intel users are at risk, but potentially just the huge server farms, not the small users.
    Patches will do very little............same with BIOS updates, and CPU microcodes sneaked in by MS......the issue is at hardware fabrication level and is severe..............That is why the Intel CEO reduced his shareholding to the legal minimum of 250,000 shares in November...Before it was public knowledge but you can be sure it was already well known in top Intel circles.............The only real solution is a rejig at fabrication level............and replace free of charge all affected processors........and Intel will not do that. so will continue to bluff and send out misinformation ........

AMD and ARM chips are just as vulerable to this architcture flaw.

They are sticking by the 'keep it secret until we have a solution' rules.

Intel were the first to react whem the news got public.
    Apple are now being shouted about on the BBC but its not in tgheir control.

If you get more into just what the issue is, down in kernel memory, then you know that no chip from any manufacturer is exempt.

But like I say it has not been exploited (yet) so don't worry too much.
    Do Microsoft and other browsers updates.
    (But be very careful about things not from official sites).

Agreed, AMD knew about this over a year ago......Why no public disclosure? the following from AMDs research team explains why.Because AMD vulnerability is practically zero..........But it would not go down well if they crowed about the fact that Intel WAS vulnerable would it?
    see following excerpt:

FROM AMD RESEARCH.
    Variant / AMD Response Matrix
    Google Project Zero (GPZ) Research Title Details
    Variant One Bounds Check Bypass Resolved by software / OS updates to be made available by system vendors and manufacturers. Negligible performance impact expected.
    Variant Two Branch Target Injection Differences in AMD architecture mean there is a near zero risk of exploitation of this variant. Vulnerability to Variant 2 has not been demonstrated on AMD processors to date.

and from The Register :
    An AMD spokesperson told The Register that an attacker would first have to gain access to the motherboard and then modify SPI-Flash before the issue could be exploited. But given those conditions, the attacker would have access to the information protected by the TPM, such as cryptographic keys.

AMD's spokesperson said the chipmaker plans to address the vulnerability for a limited number of firmware versions. BIOS updates from OEMs are supposed to be made available later this month.

I run AMD and Intel machines, ( and Raspberry Pi) but I am not concerned overmuch in either case.I do not utilise VM or used cloud based services, and these are the soft targets.