Thread: Large boot required

Large boot required

Fingers crossed I get PIP awarded in my transition from DLA. With this in mind, I'm looking at new car options. I still have over a year left on the lease of my current car Ford S Max. 3mths ago I was reassessed by NHS wheelchair services and issued with a new chair. A Quickie Salsa M2. It's a big wheelchair. I currently have an electric hoist which is unsuitable to take the weight of the new chair. Motability have told me that they cannot remove and fit a new hoist, but, I could be eligible for a brand new car with appropriate hoist fitted. Yes, ridiculous I know, but that's what they said.

I've been. Getting myself into a pickle as I'm getting confused on boot sizes that will be big enough for my new chair. Is there anyone here who has the Salsa m2 and gets into into their car? If so, what make and model is it? I know it would probably go in the S Max but I fancy a change.

Thanks in advance

There are so many combinations of scooters, wheelchairs etc against so many models of cars not to mention the combinations of seating arrangements in the cars it’s hard to find anyone with the exact set up your looking for.

I’ve gone through this summer looking at SUV’s (that I can afford) and the size of the boots with seats up, seats down, half a seat down etc and had my mind set on a Ford Kuga that my scooter will fit in fully assembled only to find at the last minute that it would only fit if the seat of the scooter was removed but lucky for me this is something I can handle but unlucky for me a week before ordering I had the “Your DLA is ending” letter from DWP so now have to postpone ordering the car for a few months but that’s another story as they say.

Good place for getting boot sizes is the Rica site...

http://www.rica.org.uk/content/car-search

... but even this can be a minefield to use because some of the measurements are out of date for the likes of me and the Kuga as the model they used for the Kuga is, I think, a Mk1 or Mk2 and the current model has had a Face Lift (Mk2.5) with slightly different measurements for the boot.

Good luck with the PIP stuff.
    Last edited by ChrisK; 09-12-2017 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Tidying up

I would think that a Renault Grand Scenic would be perfect for you. I think it would be well worth looking at.

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-sco...Row=1&EndRow=5
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I would think that a Renault Grand Scenic would be perfect for you. I think it would be well worth looking at.

http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-sco...Row=1&EndRow=5
    I would normally agree with you but the NEW Renault Scenic has a lower roof than earlier models. I bought a 4-way hoist from Autochair which works well in my 11 year old Scenic. It cost £1,500 - if you ordered a lease hire car from Motability and a hoist too - then they'd ask for a £150 towards the hoist at the time of signing a new lease - and only at this time.

I have a Citreon C4 grand Picasso and can get 2 mobility scooters in without dropping the back seats

Thanks for your replies everyone. Very helpful. Sadly I don't think the Renault or Citroen have big enough engines. I have a powered wheelchair that weighs 130kg on its own. I'm no lightweight and neither is my husband who is 6ft 4". We would struggle to get any speed!! Lol

Wav

Have you thought about a wheelchair accessible vehicle?
    You don't have to get a new one with a 5yr lease, you can get a Motability nearly new wav on a 3yr lease.

Is that through the motability scheme? Do they just take the same money from my PIP award?

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotlady View Post
    Is that through the motability scheme? Do they just take the same money from my PIP award?
    Yes, they take the same money. Motability nearly new WAVS are 1/2 yrs old, less advance payment and a 3yr contract.
    Google "Motability nearly new WAVS"

Quote Originally Posted by meandmurphy View Post
    Yes, they take the same money. Motability nearly new WAVS are 1/2 yrs old, less advance payment and a 3yr contract.
    Google "Motability nearly new WAVS"
    Thanks Murphy. I've had a good look at various websites. The more I've looked the more bamboozled I am! I think I will phone motability for some advice.
    Ideally I would like a vehicle that would allow me to drive myself without needing help from anybody else. As it stands now, I can't go anywhere without someone having to put my chair in and out of the car.
    There's no way I could pay more than £1500 up front. A problem I've found is that the engine size in my price range is too small.