Thread: DWP Scanning of Application forms.

DWP Scanning of Application forms.

Interesting response to a FoI request today (eventually).
    Not realy of much use but interesting to know anyway.

We all know that our application forms and other documents are scanned onto the system when they are received by the DWP mail handling centres don't we?

Well it seems not.

PIP2 and AR1 forms and supporting evidence are scanned onto the computer, but the ESA50 and supporting evidence isn't.

ESA50s and supporting evidence are sent by courier from the mail handling centre to the Assessment company, (then presumably from there to and back from the assessment centres themselves), then after use are sent back by courier to the DWP.
    They are never scanned at the DWP but are held in 'clerical' files for up to 13 weeks and then sent to 'remote storage' until eventually destroyed in compliance with the Data Protection Act.

This could help explain why it takes so long to get a WCA appointment and subsequent decision.
    Bits of paper are being couriered about the country rather than being sent electronically.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...naire_form_sca
    Last edited by nukecad; 16-09-17 at 15:18.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

It also explains why I've just had to submit all evidence for daughters second time assessment - bit daft and again wasting money!
    Sea Queen

It does reinforce that you should treat each reassessment as if it was the first, and resend all relevant evidence.

Never assume that they will still have the forms or evidence from last time on file, they were never scanned to computer and the originals are probably buried deep in a warehouse somewhere. (Raiders of the Lost Ark style).

It could also help explain why stuff still gets 'lost in the post' even when they have signed for delivery of it at the mail handling centre, the couriers/maximus lose it after the DWP have signed for it.

If they got their brains into gear and devised a system where people with medical evidence had clearly got a 'static' condition which was never going to improve they could upload wording onto the person's files to this affect - no need for documents. it wouldn't take long and could be identified by a coloured flag code. Instead they spend money which they say they haven't got - I reckon they think we are all liars out to trick them!
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    It does reinforce that you should treat each reassessment as if it was the first, and resend all relevant evidence.

Never assume that they will still have the forms or evidence from last time on file, they were never scanned to computer and the originals are probably buried deep in a warehouse somewhere. (Raiders of the Lost Ark style).

It could also help explain why stuff still gets 'lost in the post' even when they have signed for delivery of it at the mail handling centre, the couriers/maximus lose it after the DWP have signed for it.
    Thanks for your work you do for us nukecad, we appreciate you informing us all of your findings.

I'm a little confused though in regards to the supporting evidence not being scanned into the system. I assumed, also, that it wasn't scanned onto the system, but upon reading my last assessor report she had listed every piece of evidence I have provided, all the way back from my first pip claim in 2014? I don't know she had this information.

Quote Originally Posted by NeurologicalNed View Post
    ..... she had listed every piece of evidence I have provided, all the way back from my first pip claim in 2014?
    Bear in mind that we are only talking about ESA forms and evidence not being scanned, PIP forms and evidence ARE scanned.

I also thought it was odd that ESA stuff wasn't scanned, but that was the clear reply from the DWP in their last response to the FoI-

DWP Response:

The ESA 50 form is not scanned by the department, upon receipt it is added
    to the clerical file stored within the relevant benefit centre.

Guidance on storage of customer records states:

Clerical Documents and Systems Records
    5. Following the processing of all claims, Benefit Centres will retain their filing
    for periods of time ranging up to 13 weeks after processing of the claim is
    completed. Once the local retention period has been served, filing should be
    despatched to Remote Store
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...se%203490.pdf?

Sorry mate, I misread your post. That makes sense then. Lol