Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving home

Moving home

I’m not sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

There is a small chance I may get the opportunity to move to a more appropriate wheelchair friendly maisonettes in the next few months. I’ve never had to move home since being in a wheelchair, so this would be the first time.
    All I keep thinking of is how do I move all my stuff. I can’t do it myself anymore. I also don’t have that much spare cash to pay a removal company. Does anyone know if you can get a grant to help with moving costs?
    I hate living where I am now. I’m on the first floor. Last week I had to be rescued by firemen as I was in the lift and it broke down between floors. The only upside to that was having 4 gorgeous muscled up firemen manhandling me to get out

I would think you first contact should be your Councils welfare team.

They will know of any local schemes, grants, and even charities with man-with-a-van volunteers (yes they do exist).

Another option that often gets forgotten is your local church, the vicar/priest/rabbi/..... will have an army of volunteers to call on.

And you never know, if you ask the fire station nicely you might get a bunch of hunky firemen moving your furniture for you.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I don't know your personal circumstances or whether you are on the appropriate benefits as regards this but a budgeting loan may be one answer if all else fails.

https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits

Thanks for the replies.

The links don’t help me Lindy. We don’t claim any benefits apart from my DLA. That’s not to say we have much money. I can’t work and my husband is a nurse so he doesn’t bring home a fortune. We are one of the families they call the JAMs (just about managing). We have little in the way of savings and live month to month.

It’s not just the money. My husbands health isn’t that great he is a blue badge holder as he’s riddled with arthritis. We need help moving everything. I just dread to think how much it would cost for a removal firm. TBH.. it’s putting me off the idea.

First of all have you checked whether you are entitled to tax credits if your OH is on a low income? You could use the calculator on www.entitledto.co.uk. Are you a home owner or do you rent?

This is a useful article:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/fam...nts-low-income

If none of these offer any help then do check out the obvious things - family/friends etc. CAB might have a list of organisations that could help.

Discretionary housing payments are exactly that Ie discretionary.
    So even if you don't usually qualify, you may get granted a one off payment to help with removal costs, especially as you would be moving to more suitable accommodation.
    You have nothing to lose by asking for and filling in the form
    When I get my removal costs paid for me by a discretionary grant I got a packing service also, but no help with unpacking the other end
    Good luck if the move goes ahead

Try also advertising on FB or Gumtree or any local forums for boxes. If hubbys a nurse, tell him to go to the renal unit, they have MASSES of boxes all waitin to go to the tip. I got some from there.
    I'm guessing if you are in a wheelchair, you could pack the smaller, lighter stuff? Start weeks ahead.
    We just moved and I dipped into savings, but a removal firm is worth it. Get 3 quotes before deciding.

There is also Freeserve where people post things to give away or request items. I have often seen moving boxes offered on there as well as being asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    There is also Freeserve where people post things to give away or request items. I have often seen moving boxes offered on there as well as being asked for.
    or Freegle or Freecycle for same. I got one that way when I needed to pack a large parcel.