Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a quick question

Just a quick question

My OH was awarded standard rate PIP and he has now had a change in circumstances.My question is how long do you have to wait to tell DWP,?It is a change for the worse not the better.

Basicily he has got to wear compression socks all day and I'm struggling to put them on OH.My hands aren't strong enough(MS weakness) .The socks are a lot stronger than flight socks.We are going to have to ask a friend to come in every morning to put the socks on.I know that if he had to wear them short term its not classed as a change but he has to wear them all the time now .

Thanks

I've been wearing em for years myself - plus the gloves and arm sleeve, are they knee length?, my Lymphoedema Nurse got me a gadget to help get them on.
    It's like a frame with handles on, you firstly place the sock over the frame then put it on your foot, it's quite easy to use if you have use of your hands.
    You should talk to your nurse/GP etc about getting one.

As for the 'Change of Circumstances', it's the standard 3months before and at least 9months after notification, but you must remember it's the whole award they will probably look at.

Best of luck BJ.

Here's the CAB info for Change of Circ's, just follow the link for supersession:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...dence-payment/

This gadget/frame has 'Juzo' stamped on it, it's German made.
    Last edited by Jard; 27-09-17 at 17:28.

I should think DWP will view wearing them as making his walking easier, which is what they mainly do, maybe better to have a CoC on his deteriorated ability to walk rather than on the fact of the socks, JMO.

Hiya there slip,
    Good point, all about the reason; don't know about BJ's OH but mine is all about wound compression and swelling, but as you point out any application for CoC will turn into 'all about the reason'.

Hope your keeping well - as can be expected.

Its Chronic Odema(sp) and Cellulitus on his legs due to Diabetes that hubby suffers from and is the reason he has to wear the socks.He has a very bad back and can't bend down to attempt to put the socks on and as for walking he can't walk more than 10 steps without being in pain..Like Jard its wound compression and swelling as the main reason for wearing them.
    I had a word with our support worker who works(volunteers) for a charity very much like CAB but the only deal with people trying to get benefits or are having problems paying there bills etc and know a hell of a lot about PIP.He told us that if OH has to wear the socks long term it is classed as a change of circumstance and to get a letter from our GP .

They are knee length Jard and i'll look into getting the frame thingy.

Thanks for your answers.

Hiya BJ
    I think you may find they consider them has a 'Therapy' or a part of a wider therapy regime, worn in conjunction with dressings etc, I also have a compression boot to wear on top of it all on one leg.
    As slipmaster points out you'll need to explain the reasons behind it all, in depth.

I think we've decided to let things stay as they are regarding the socks.We are worried like a lot of people that they might take off us what we have got.When OH has a review we will tell them then about the socks and having to have someone to come and put them on for him but I'm going to see about getting the frame thingy Jard has mentioned.

Having thought about it, it does seem that there may be some points to be gained out of it for 'Therapy' and the frame thing as an 'Aid', but I'm just surmising there as I'm still waiting for my PIP changeover, they seemed to have passed me by with that, everybody I know local to me had theirs ages ago.

Jard don't tell PIP you use any aids or you will get points taken off.We have shower rails in the bathroom that hubby has to hold on to with both hands or he will fall down while showering.They didn't take into account that it's impossible to have a shower and a wash holding onto the rail.He care got standard care because of the aids even though I have to shower him and wash his hair and if I'm not up to it a good friend comes and showers him.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiejane View Post
    Jard don't tell PIP you use any aids or you will get points taken off.We have shower rails in the bathroom that hubby has to hold on to with both hands or he will fall down while showering.They didn't take into account that it's impossible to have a shower and a wash holding onto the rail.He care got standard care because of the aids even though I have to shower him and wash his hair and if I'm not up to it a good friend comes and showers him.
    I got high marks in the bathing descriptors as I can't bath but use a shower with grab rails that's over the bath. I don't receive any help but I have an 'underlying need' for help - I manage with one arm but can't wash between my shoulder blades.