Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: W&p select committee inquiry!

Blog Entries
    Did mine and got an email to acknowledge. I have also got my local MP on it now as well. Fighting as hard as I can!

Just a reminder that the last day for submissions is 10th November.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

3250 individual evidence submissions.

Well this one seems to have broken all records.

Which just goes to show the depth of feeling we all have about the broken assessment process for both ESA and PIP.

There were 2800 online submissions from individuals, and 450 written submissions

An inquiry usually gets 50 to 100 submissions from individuals.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...pip-esa-17-19/

Report Published.

The W&P select commmittee has now published a report on this inquiry.
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/co...-report-17-19/

You can read some of the almost 4,000 evidence submissions from organisations and individuals here:
    https://publications.parliament.uk/p.../355/35508.htm

It's also interesting to see just how many requested that their name be withheld, which shows just how much the DWP is trusted.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks, I’ll have a read through it today

I've just finished reading the report.

This is an initial report focusing on the common issues and failings raised by the evidence submitted by the public and benefit advisors.

It has been published in this unusual move because of the unprecedented public response received, and because:
    "those who have taken the time and effort to contact us deserve a speedy and substantive response from the Government."

There will be a further, fuller, report "setting out our policy recommendations". to be published later.

DWP caught lying to the Select Committee inquiry.

During the the recent assessment inquiry the W&P select committee asked the DWP for a breakdown on figures for PIP appeals. (New claims vs Reassessments).

The DWP replied that those particular figures were not available.
    The information on the number of PIP appeals is from HMCTS published statistics and this information is not available from HMCTS for new claims and reassessments separately.
    But then the Committee were supplied with those broken down figures that the DWP had given in reply to an FoI request by the press association.

As you can imagine the committee is not happy about this:
    It was with some surprise, therefore, that we today received data released in response to an FOI request. This provided estimated costs per month spent on PIP appeals—broken down by new and reassessed claims.

You will be aware that we are shortly due to publish our report. That this data was provided in response to an FOI request, but not for our Report, is doubly regrettable since the key theme of our report is the need to introduce much greater trust and transparency into the PIP and ESA systems.

Might you please explain how this occurred?
    The DWP could not have done much more to antagonise the comittee than lying in an inquiry about truth and transparency at the DWP.

Full letter.

Although the tone of that letter is polite it looks to me like an invitataion for the DWP to trap/convict themselves further in their reply, expect things to get more heated.

This has also confirmed to the committee that mistruth and misdirection is endemic to the DWP.
    (Of course the regular members, like Frank Field, know this already).
    Which is just what the committee has been hearing about the DWP and assessors lying on reports.

This matter is also mentioned in the latest update on the progress of this inquiry:
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post

During the the recent assessment inquiry the W&P select committee asked the DWP for a breakdown on figures for PIP appeals. (New claims vs Reassessments).

The DWP replied that those particular figures were not available.

But then the Committee were supplied with those broken down figures that the DWP had given in reply to an FoI request by the press association.

As you can imagine the committee is not happy about this:

The DWP could not have done much more to antagonise the comittee than lying in an inquiry about truth and transparency at the DWP.

Full letter.

Although the tone of that letter is polite it looks to me like an invitataion for the DWP to trap/convict themselves further in their reply, expect things to get more heated.

This has also confirmed to the committee that mistruth and misdirection is endemic to the DWP.
    (Of course the regular members, like Frank Field, know this already).
    Which is just what the committee has been hearing about the DWP and assessors lying on reports.

This matter is also mentioned in the latest update on the progress of this inquiry:
    Yes I watched the Parliament thing about this, and yes maybe they have lied to the wrong people, all I am interested in though is what is going to be done about it?

The W & P Select Committee definitely didn't like being lied too.

They are now questioning, and taking a swipe at, other DWP 'lying in general'.

This one's about the DWP claims that Universal Credit increases employment rates.
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...figures-17-19/
    ..to have our specific queries about basis of this claim answered with airy, irrelevant and, it appears, plainly inaccurate assertions adds insult to injury.
    This could all get more interesting.

They've got away with lying for so long it's now second nature so they get a request and send things, whatever they have supporting their point of view, automatically without thinking. But much like my healthboard is now finding with the public services ombudsman there is a line and people you just don't lie to or mess around or send copies of generic letters to (in my case they ignored the request about me and replied about other people who can travel to services - the point is I can't travel).

I put on my submission about the rather suspect 'comprehensive medical study' that was cited on one of my ESA covering letters that ESA is a temporary benefit which supports findings that everyone is better off in work. The study was conducted by ATOS (under another name) and couldn't be less independent if they tried. I've not had one recently (famous last words) but suspect it's still there.
    Last edited by Bekki2017; 04-03-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Errors