Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: W&p select committee inquiry!

Government response published

The Government response has now been published.
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...esponse-17-19/

Overall the response looks disappointing with mainly - "we'll get someone to look at that", "we'll think about it", or "we reject that".

In other words the DWP won't accept that the current assessment system is failing, despite the biggest ever public response to such an inquiry.

Expect further pushing from the Select Committee, and probably the media.

I've not had time to read the full report yet, but had a frustrated laugh at the 'Easy Read' document. (DWP/Government Propoganda).

Almost every picture in that document depicting a 'Disabled Person' shows someone in a wheelchair, the few that don't seem to depect Blind (guide dog), Deaf (big hearing aid), or a person with Down's.

Which gives a good indication of what the DWP/Government think 'Disablity' means.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-01-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I just hope and pray that someone some day will come along and succeed where Guy Fawkes failed.

You may remember this earlier post about the DWP lying to the inquiry about certain figures not being available, and the inquiry then being given these figures from a Press Association FoI request:
    https://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...l=1#post141983

There has finally been a DWP reply (from Esther McVey) about this published .
    Reply letter

Basically, hidden in a lot of waffle, it says - 'We didn't lie to you about not having those figures, you didn't ask the right question.'

It then goes on to waffle about 'administrative costs' as opposed to 'operational costs'.

Anyone who follows FoI requests will know that this is a standard DWP tactic to avoid providing information, they pretend that (they thought) you asked for something else even when it's perfectly clear what you were actually asking for.

It's been some time since there was an update to this thread.

The Government have issued their second response to the Inquiry into PIP and ESA Assessments.

This one is regarding the claimants experiences report.
    https://www.parliament.uk/documents/...nse-250718.pdf

Commenting on the response, Rt Hon Frank Field MP, Chair of the Committee, said:

"There is a welcome change of tone in this response which seems to finally begin to acknowledge the deep distress and difficulty PIP& ESA claimants have experienced.

But that counts for little when it still refuses to engage with the huge problems in quality control—the reports riddled with errors and omissions, the huge numbers of overturned decisions, the outsourced contractors that rarely or never hit their targets—and when the pace of the change it is making is painfully slow.

Claiming a benefit to which you are legitimately entitled should never be a humiliating, distressing experience. Government must move now, faster, to make this right."
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...esponse-17-19/