Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-Flooring - Housing Association required to fit non-slip?

Re-Flooring - Housing Association required to fit non-slip?

Just a question, are housing associations required to fit non-slip flooring in areas where there's a risk of water spillage, ie. bathrooms & kitchens?

We're due to have all our floors replaced and talking to the chap 3 doors down who had his done all they would fit in his kitchen is ply sheet
    Last edited by phaedra; 30-09-17 at 20:32.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Just a question, are housing associations required to fit non-slip flooring in areas where there's a risk of water spillage, ie. bathrooms & kitchens?

We're due to have all our floors replaced and talking to the chap 3 doors down who had his done all they would fit in his kitchen is ply sheet
    First of all there is no flooring that is non-slip they are classed as 'slip resistant.

My kitchen and bathroom flooring are made from concrete. To get an even surface a quick drying / self levelling rubber screw was laid and a vinyl called 'Flotex' was added. A silky, furry, warm, rot proof vinyl was added that comes with a 20 year guarantee.

If my kitchen had wooden floorboards I'd cover it in large sheets of hardboard to stick a vinyl floor too. Fitting plywood is another option prior to tiling or adding sheets of vinyl.

..all they would fit in his kitchen is ply sheet
    I think that's about right; they have made the floor 'good', it's up to the tenant to supply the floor covering that they want.

Most floors are done in fibreboard these days (they actually call it 'underlay').
    Less expensive and quicker to fit than tongue and groove.

PS. We recently had our bathroom floor and joists replaced and we fitted laminate effect cushioned vinyl on top of the boards - slippy as hell to bare feet when its wet so be careful what you get.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks

We have concrete slabs under the floors, there's a layer of visqueen screening then chipboard panels laid on top of that to form the flooring.

I've been trying to get the HA to pay for the replacement carpets or tiles but they just keep avoiding it, my household insurance say it's long term property damage caused by my HA's shoddy maintenance/standard or workmanship so say to claim of the HA. The chap 3 doors down and the lady at the bottom of the close were told the same thing, but so far the HA have been no help at all. I paid a decent amount of money to sort this place out when we moved in, we had to have the whole place painted as it most of it had bright banana yellow walls!.

The only room we could re-use the carpet we'd just had fitted in the old house was my sons bedroom, the rest (passage, hallway, living room & large bedroom) I had done in laminate flooring, all of that is now ruined as it's soaking wet underneath so every room will have to be re-covered.

Thanks

We have concrete slabs under the floors, there's a layer of visqueen screening then chipboard panels laid on top of that to form the flooring.

I've been trying to get the HA to pay for the replacement carpets or tiles but they just keep avoiding it, my household insurance say it's long term property damage caused by my HA's shoddy maintenance/standard or workmanship so say to claim of the HA. The chap 3 doors down and the lady at the bottom of the close were told the same thing, but so far the HA have been no help at all. I paid a decent amount of money to sort this place out when we moved in, we had to have the whole place painted as it most of it had bright banana yellow walls!.

The only room we could re-use the carpet we'd just had fitted in the old house was my sons bedroom, the rest (passage, hallway, living room & large bedroom) I had done in laminate flooring, all of that is now ruined as it's soaking wet underneath so every room will have to be re-covered.
    So basically what you are saying is that you moved in, put down laminate flooring (is that still down?) and it was ruined due to faulty covering underneath? Now the HA is making good the floors by laying chip board panels etc?

From what you have said (hope I've understood!) is that you want the HA to replace/give compensation to you for the damaged vinyl because of their shoddy (previous) floor covering ?

If this is correct then this is more to do with the fact that your insurance company will not pay out because of the HA's shoddy work. You need to ask the insurance company to put in writing their refusal to pay out and their report that says why the HA's floor covering was faulty. Have you photos of the laminate covering or receipts for the cost of the laminate ? If so send them. Don't forget to keep copies of everything. Telephone and ask to whom you should send the report and claim. They may not refund the whole amount depending on how much use you had from it.

Our HA is Habinteg and they fitted polyfloor in wetroom and kitchen. I would ask if your HA is for disabled specific buildings?

History time

We moved in Dec-Jan 2013, the kitchen and bathroom were covered in rather dirty vinyl which we bleached/nuked back to a decent standard. The hallway/passage, back (large) bedroom and the living room we had laminate fitted. My sons bedroom we managed to use part of the living room carpet from our previous house.

A couple of months ago I noticed some swelling to the laminate where the passage meets the living room door (both sides), I (wrongly) assumed someone had spilled something or it had gotten wet from the steam cleaner.

Then a few weeks ago we started noticing a horrible smell (like cat pee) and a big damp patch in my sons room, we (wrongly again) assumed a cat had got in and used his floor.

Shortly after that while we were having the existing shower replaced with a wet room when they removed the flooring they found about 1cm - 1/2" of standing stagnant water, this had obviously been the cause of the other problems as looking into it the water has spread right throughout the house, they put it down to bad workmanship on the previous shower cubicle installation so God knows how long it had been leaking for.

The chap 2 doors down had only been in 2-3 months when they found the same problem, in his case it was leaky tap joints under the bath, how the HA didn't see that when they stripped and cleaned the place out before he moved in I have no idea, they are refusing to compensate him as well.

The lady at the bottom of our cul-de-sac again has standing water from a leaking bathroom, both she and the chap 2 doors down have been in touch with their insurers and like mine they say that as the damage is the result of poor maintenance/design/building work etc. etc. so the HA are liable and to go to them. So far they've refused all requests from both my neighbours, even relatively minor ones like paying for the extra 450KwH of electricity used by the dehumidifier to dry the chap 2 doors down's house out.

At the moment I'm looking at 45 to 50 SqM of carpeting and 8 SqM of vinyl for the kitchen, so around £1,000 using cheapish carpet (under £10 SqM) and getting someone to fit it all. And of course it'll be right before Xmas so that will be fun.
    Last edited by phaedra; 01-10-17 at 18:11.

Tip if your nsurance has legal protection added then ring up your insurance and tell them that you pay for legal protection and ha are refusing to pay so legal team need to take over

Well we're off to a great start, the 2 chaps who've came were told it was "just some damp" in the flooring ....... they aren't happy at all with what they've found so far,

Passage/Hallway,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passage-1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	1895

Name:	Passage-2.jpg 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	1896

Sons Room,

Name:	Sons-Room-1.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1897

Name:	Sons-Room-2.jpg 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	1898

So, dehumidifier now in my sons room, every square inch of the concrete under floor is covered in water, same with the passage/hallway and the cupboard.

The Visqueen sheeting is completely rotted and is in bits, even the 1" polystyrene layer on top of it has absorbed and is holding water!.

Spoke to an area manager who's arranging a flooring contractor to come in and do the entire house as it's that bad. He suggested I write to the HA head office about claiming for new carpets/laminate etc. enclosing lots of photos.

Just waiting to hear back from him as to when they can make a start, hopefully my sons room will dry out in a few days and we can move the dehumidifier into the hallway and get that dried.

After that it's a case of moving him back in temporarily while we get the rear bedroom done, then move my living room into there and get it done, then there's just the kitchen!.
    Last edited by phaedra; 02-10-17 at 15:23.