Thread: Short term extension

Short term extension

I've had a look on the motability site and it says if you're under 15000 miles you can get an extension of 1 - 2 years. My grandmother's mobility needs have recently changed. She was getting about okay with a walker but I'm looking to get her a scooter because her breathing is getting really bad. Her current lease ends in early January so I'm expecting the letter about getting a new car any day now. I spoke to autochair at the motility show in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago and they said she needs to get her scooter before they can assess what hoist she needs. He said if she hadn't go the scooter by October to call motility to see about getting an extension.

The car we've chosen that will fit a scooter in the boot along with shopping or luggage for when she goes into respite has an advanced payment of just over £1000. This along with the price of the scooter means I've got quite a chunk of money to find in a short amount of time before she has to get her next car. It's just not going to be possible. However, I don't want to keep the current car for as long as a year because it won't fit a scooter and she's definitely going to need one within the next few months.

Would it be possible to extend our current lease for 3 months or so until I've got the money for the scooter and advanced payment or would we have to keep it for at least another year?

I would suggest that your first move should be to phone up Motability as they are the best people to advise you on this matter.

If uou are looking for a Good Scooter to fit in the Boot of a Car I can Highly Recommend the Pride GoGo Elite Plus 4. I have bought one of these and it is great as is splits down to 5 pieces and there is no requirement for a Hoist. It has a range of 13 Miles on one charge and really great getting around Supermarkets. Price is £625

https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-ms01...ility-scooter/
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

There are plenty of second hand ones around for less than £200 - look on any selling site on the internet or social media. It may take 2 or 3 to find one that really suits her, so forking out £600 or more each time could get pricey. My wife has the Go_Go Elite, and broken down it just about fits in our Fiesta boot, but not much room left for other things. I agree with Kodiak that it is a good one to start with - a lot more stable than the Whisper which is the other frequently seen small scooter.

Thanks! I'lll give motability a phone. As for the scooters I was told to cal our local aged concern as they get scooters in from time to time. How heavy is the biggest of the 5 pieces for the scooter? I have subluxating shoulder so I can't lift much weight.

The Heaviest Part is 16kg, this is for the Pride GoGo Traveller plus 4.

There could be 2nd hand ones but not where I live and no one will deliver a 2nd hand one to where I live either. So I had no choice to buy a new one. If you do buy a new one I suggest you have a look at CareCo.com as not only do they have great prices but they also give you FREE Delivery UK Wide.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Thanks! I've had a look on gumtree and it turns out a mobility shop near me is selling the go go lx for £300. Going to look at it tomorrow!