Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4g home broadband

4g home broadband

after years of crap wired broadband ive now got fast 4g broadband from 3three
    if anyone is struggling with landline speeds (i live very rural) then sign up to a 3three 4g sim router , you get 40gbs of data for £24 a month router free and no up front costs or linerentals and if you move about a lot (like me) just put your sim router in a bag and take it with you
    the goverment have given BT millions to update wires and a top BT guy has said wires are old hat it will be all done by 5g 6g and beyond by 2025..
    ive had wires at lots of different addresses but nothing is as fast as my 4g router

Sending data down copper wires is so dated and slow. Light through file optic cabling is the way forward and you can get blistering speeds i.e. 200Mbs.

EE piggyback off Virginmedia fibre optic 4G

I've used the same company for file optic broadband over at least 20 years from when it was first introduced by Nynex

then .. .
    Cable and Wireless
    Virgin
    Ntlworld
    and Virginmedia at present

If you are going to go the mobile broadband route then make sure that the one you go for has a good signal in your area.
    For instance druid's 3(three) router would not work here, we don't have any signal at all from 3.

I also live quite rural and use a slightly different technique when the landline is playing up or being slow.

I 'Tether' my mobile phone to the laptop using the USB cable supplied with the phone. (I'm doing it right now).

What you are doing is using your smartphone as a router to link your laptop to the phones mobile data. (3G/4G depending where you live).

You probably already have a data allowance if you are on some kind of phone plan, so this is not costing you another monthly fee.
    Even PAYG plans usually have some data allowance these days.
    http://ee.co.uk/help/my-account/pay-...-how-they-work

How to do it?
    Make sure your phone is set to recieve mobile data.
    Connect to your laptop using the USB cable. It will tell you it's connected as a media device.
    On the phone go to Settings>Wireless and Networks>more settings>Tethering and portable hotspots (or similar wording, depends on your phone).
    Select USB tethering.
    After a moment your laptop will show a new ethernet network and connect to it.

Make sure that you set this network as a metered connection, you don't want automatic downloads using all your data allowance.

A slight bonus, while you are connected this way the laptop is also charging the phone battery.

You may have noticed when you were in that settings screen that it is also possible to set your phone to be a 'Portable wifi hotspot'.
    That's another way of connecting your phones data connection to your laptop, but without the cable.
    The phone gives out a wifi signal and you connect your laptop to this.
    Of course this uses more of your phones battery, and there's an initial password to set up to make sure nobody else is using your phones wifi signal.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-15-2017 at 04:11 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

As Nukecad says if you like to connect your phone to broadband via wifi just turn wifi on and your phone hunts for all local wi-fi hot spots.

Around here I get several as I live in suburbia. It will show all say EE hotspots one of which is yours. Look on the back of the router for the password. Once you've logged into it you don't need to log in again. Your phone will now be using your home broadband data not the phones.

I have a SIM only package with just 2Mbs of data which is fine and it only costs £5.25 a month. Your home wi-fi is also secure unlike hotspots in Cafes which are open to hackers so try to avoid digital banking using public hotspots.

4G mobile broadband only works with 4G enabled smartphones and only outdoors. Wi-fi is for use indoors as the signal is stronger.

On BT Infinity1 here. signed up for 52Mbps service and that is what delivery is. Got phone and BBand package, opted for anytime calls..........Paid rental upfront ( usually do ) which leaves £14.50 a month payments for Phone and BB package.
    Got email from BT last week, upgrading from 52Mbps to 76Mbps free of charge.Happened 2 days later. Mobile is Vodaphone because only provider that gets a signal around here, and even then it is an "only just" signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    As Nukecad says if you like to connect your phone to broadband via wifi just turn wifi on and your phone hunts for all local wi-fi hot spots.
    That's slightly different from what I am describing. That's connecting your phone to your home wifi router (or any wifi router) .

What I am talking about above is the other way round, it's making your smartphone work as a mobile router that you can connect other devices to by cable or wifi (just like any router).
    You don't need any other router at all to do this, just the phone with a working mobile signal.

For an extreme example- I can sit on top of Scafell Pike, Englands highest mountain, no routers/wifi up there but I can (sometimes) get a phone signal, so I could use the phone as a router and connect a laptop to it.

ie. Anyone with a smartphone already has a 3G/4G mobile router - the smartphone - it just needs the setting turning on.

But be careful to watch how much data allowance you have on your phones monthly payment plan, if you go over this allowance you may/will be charged extra.
    (With a PAYG plan like the ones I linked to above it just cuts off when you reach the allowance).
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-15-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    If you are going to go the mobile broadband route then make sure that the one you go for has a good signal in your area.
    For instance druid's 3(three) router would not work here, we don't have any signal at all from 3.

I also live quite rural and use a slightly different technique when the landline is playing up or being slow.

I 'Tether' my mobile phone to the laptop using the USB cable supplied with the phone. (I'm doing it right now).

What you are doing is using your smartphone as a router to link your laptop to the phones mobile data. (3G/4G depending where you live).

You probably already have a data allowance if you are on some kind of phone plan, so this is not costing you another monthly fee.
    Even PAYG plans usually have some data allowance these days.
    http://ee.co.uk/help/my-account/pay-...-how-they-work

How to do it?
    Make sure your phone is set to recieve mobile data.
    Connect to your laptop using the USB cable. It will tell you it's connected as a media device.
    On the phone go to Settings>Wireless and Networks>more settings>Tethering and portable hotspots (or similar wording, depends on your phone).
    Select USB tethering.
    After a moment your laptop will show a new ethernet network and connect to it.

Make sure that you set this network as a metered connection, you don't want automatic downloads using all your data allowance.

A slight bonus, while you are connected this way the laptop is also charging the phone battery.

You may have noticed when you were in that settings screen that it is also possible to set your phone to be a 'Portable wifi hotspot'.
    That's another way of connecting your phones data connection to your laptop, but without the cable.
    The phone gives out a wifi signal and you connect your laptop to this.
    Of course this uses more of your phones battery, and there's an initial password to set up to make sure nobody else is using your phones wifi signal.
    cumbria first county to ditch out of date cable connections and invest in 4g/5g and 6g is on its way too.
    if your using cables your going to be out of date mobile broadband is taking over.
    three3 may not be as good in cumbria YET but they cover 96% of the country and mobile broadband is there flagship product , there data package of 40gb is far better than any other provider.
    there mobile home router download speed is faster than a phone hotspot because thats what its designed for , anyone trying this product would never go back to fibre/wire .
    heres the EE cumbria mobile broadband link http://newsroom.ee.co.uk/ee-switches...rural-cumbria/
    also if you need a phone three3 do a £10 a month 50 hours of calls and 3000tex p&go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Sending data down copper wires is so dated and slow. Light through file optic cabling is the way forward and you can get blistering speeds i.e. 200Mbs.

EE piggyback off Virginmedia fibre optic 4G

I've used the same company for file optic broadband over at least 20 years from when it was first introduced by Nynex

then .. .
    Cable and Wireless
    Virgin
    Ntlworld
    and Virginmedia at present
    hi there , have you tried the 3three router?

Update on my "so dated" copper wire internet..........I now get 80Mbps...........£14.50 a month which includes freeanytime calls......... as for 4G..............we cannot even get 3G round here..........So thank goodness for my outdated obsolete inefficient useless old copper wire............

Blog Entries
    I live in a rural area and back in June decided enough was enough. I was paying for something I wasn’t receiving each month, it got so ridiculous I was only getting 1.21 download and 0.00 upload at one point when I tested. So I have now cancelled my home broadband and use my 4g sometimes 3g on my iPad and phone, I get 20g a month for £21 unlimited calls and texts with 02 as did try a 3 one, but didn’t work at all. The only problem is updates, but I have a lovely neighbour who lets me use there’s, I can just about get signal to do this. ??