Thread: Esa suspended

Esa suspended

Hi wondering if anyone can give me some advice I've been on ESA for the last few years due to agoraphobia, anxiety and depression. I was given a home assessment last may as I'm unable to leave the house and was finally awarded the full rate. Fast forward to july this year and I was told I needed to be reassessed and an appointment was made for 9am 2 miles away from my house. I rang the medical office to tell them I couldn't make the appointment due to my agoraphobia and was given another appointment for the next month I was also told that I'd need evidence if I needed a home assessment and my GP needed to get in touch with them to arrange it. When I made my appointment with my GP he told me that dwp needed to contact him to arrange it so during this time it was stressing me out and I just left it. I missed my assessment and my ESA was stopped I was given a chance to explain why I couldn't attend due to my agoraphobia and was told it wasn't an acceptable reason not to attend.. Last Thursday I sent a letter that my doctor wrote explaining my issues and asked if I could have a home assessment and I'm awaiting a reply.. Has anyone been in similar situation would this be enough for them? So stressful thank you for reading (bit long)
    Last edited by Philipg; 10-25-2017 at 11:10 PM.

The letter or fax from your GP that explains why you need a home visit should of been sent to them prior to the WCA appointment , they don't allow leeway or use common sense neither does government so matter which are in office

If they have suspended your ESA then it maybe a case of you asking for a Mandatory reconsideration (DWP) and send them the GP's letter that states you require a home visit and the medical reasons for this they should then accept that you had good reason for not attending the WCA farce
    On another note if you also get housing benefit /local housing allowance or Council tax relief including any additional exceptional hardship payments the council will stop paying the hb, and re adjust your CT bill , until you can make a nil income statement or declaration with them, this is fairly straightforward if your benefit is suspended if they have stopped /closed the claim it's a bit more involved

Only send copies of letters, keep original's for yourself.

Your ESA has not been 'suspended', it has been stopped altogether because you failed to attend the WCA without 'Good Reason'.

Your GP was wrong, they do not contact him, it's up to you to get the evidence that you are unable to attend and send it to them.

You say that you were already given a chance to explain why you did not go (presumably a form BF223), but they did not accept your reason and so have stopped your ESA claim.
    (You should have sent your doctors letter with this, but I understand you may not have had it at the time).

Your way forward is to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision to stop your ESA for a 'Failure to attend WCA'.

You say you sent a letter last Thursday - did you ask for a MR, or did you just send it?
    And who did you send it to, the assessors or the DWP?

The answers to those 2 questions are important and will determine what you need to do next.

As Tom says this will also affect any HB &CTR you may be getting, you will need to contact the council about this, the sooner the better.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I've already sent of for a mandatory reconsideration but I believe they didn't accept it even with a letter written from my GP.
    I'm just going to give up with it now and live off nothing. Not worth it anymore.

People who really need the money get treated like nothing but if your a foreigner you never have to worry..

Thanks to people who replied

Quote Originally Posted by Philipg View Post
    I've already sent of for a mandatory reconsideration but I believe they didn't accept it even with a letter written from my GP.
    I'm just going to give up with it now and live off nothing. Not worth it anymore.

People who really need the money get treated like nothing but if your a foreigner you never have to worry..

Thanks to people who replied
    you need support from MENCAP or CAB , ive been there before so i know how hard it is.
    try and sort your HB out with the council THEN call the DWP to find out what there NOTES say about your MR..
    i suspect nuke is right about what your doctor told you (doctors tend not to understand benifits) but at least if hes on your side for now he can maybe write a sicknote to take to jobcentre and get some money somehow?
    try to focus on one thing at a time and dont get ahead of yourself because you will get overwhelmed , one step at a time..
    but maybe a sicknote at the jobcentre may get you something , some guys on here will be able to point you in the right direction , please try and hang in there love x

Hi, as said above your doctor IS wrong, they MAY contact him for further evidence, however they will NEVER contact the doctors for a letter so you can have a home visit. Press them with the fact that because of the doctors error you have lost your benefits and have ZERO money to live on. They NEED to do you a sick note ASAP.

Considering all that’s gone on I would ask you to speak to a welfare advisor ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipg View Post
    Don't give up yet, you still have the right to appeal to the Independent Tribunal.

You have made a mistake by not going to your assessment, you are not the first and won't be the last.

You say that you "believe" that you failed the MR. - You need to be sure.
    Have you had a letter saying that they have looked at your claim again, but have not changed their decision?

As the others have said, get some help, CAB, MENCAP, or another Welfare Organisation near you, and get an appeal going.

Note that when you win the appeal the decision will probably be that you have to be given another chance of assessment.
    If your doctors letter is good enough then the tribunal will direct that this has to be a home assessment, or even a paper based one.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.