Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress in the garden

Cool Progress in the garden

Well a fair bit has happened since we moved in here in the last 6 months.

Progress in the garden has happened a lot, most recently a shed, marking out new flower beds, and getting our mower and strimmer back from storage at a friends house.

You can if you want view our project here:

https://www.facebook.com/JManproject78/

We also have a friendly body to help both in the garden, and out and about once a week. This will hopefully make a lot of difference.

Today I've acquired some blackcurrant cuttings, and we've been offered gooseberry bushes as well!
    Last edited by TheFlyingKidney; 10-26-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Biscuitgazer
    We have a gooseberry bush in the middle of our garden where we've lived since June. First time I've ever tasted gooseberries and I did not like them, so I thought I would try brewing them. I did it all backwards, juiced them before getting a recipe, then realised I had no yeast. By the time I had got round to getting yeast the juice was most disgustingly off. Gooseberry fool, me.

Gooseberries best made into jam, I think, they are rather tart. but I know zilch about jam so best ask the man above!!

By the time I had got round to getting yeast the juice was most disgustingly off.
    That was probably the natural, wild, yeast off the skins getting the fermentation process going.

Some people swear by using 'natural' or 'spontaneous' fermentation rather than adding any other yeast.
    It's how it used to be done before you could go to the shop and buy yeast.
    https://winemakermag.com/758-wild-ye...s-fermentation

Of course it should be done in closed containers (with an airlock) or everything gets contaminated by airborne yeasts and bacteria.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-28-2017 at 07:43 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Biscuitgazer
    Interesting article and also super Facebook page!
    I'm going to do jam next season if the bush survived transplantation out of the middle of the garden.
    Yes it fermented, in fact it looks beautiful - I think I've still got it, at least I have discovered an unlabeled demijohn and I can't think what else it can be.
    I've just recalled that the revolting brew was rhubarb, so that DJ is gooseberry and yes, wild yeast only and it has finished fermenting. Perhaps it tastes nice too! Anyway, the Sauternes yeast that I got for both those brews is now in my apple juice.

Interested in Jostaberries as well, slightly more oomph than gooseberries, they're a funky vigorous cross of Blackcurrant and European and North American gooseberry. Makes excellent jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitgazer View Post
    Perhaps it tastes nice too!
    Let us know when you have screwed up the courage to taste it.

Now homemade scrumpy from your apples would be the brew for me.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Biscuitgazer
    TFK are you growing jostaberries or considering planting them?

My brew. I'm hoping for wine this time, not scrumpy. I added a few kg of sugar to the apple juice and it's got a lot of months to go. I don't remember putting sugar into the gooseberry juice (I don't actually remember anything about it other than juicing the berries...) I have nothing to bottle it into, I've not ever racked it off the sediment and I've given away my empty DJs to my sister. I'm not the most organizer brewer. I was trying not to brew anything more, but then the fruit ripened - what's a girl to do?

FAO The Flying Kidney. Please an I ask you a question?
    I ordered some garden ready winter flowering pansies (280 of) that came on Friday, they were only tiny. I planted them over the weekend and last night we had a frost. Do you think they will survive? The leaves were frozen this morning and now they have thawed out seem to be ok but time will tell if they are going to die off.
    Your input will be invaluable.
    Sorry but I am a learner gardener.

If they were the tiny plug plants it may have been better to harden them off (it usually advises this on the packing) before planting them out. They are frost hardy but if they've been grown under cover, it might be a shock for them. I love those kind of orders, but its making sure you care for them between receiving and planting

However, you might be lucky. Hopefully you will If you can give them cover for a couple of weeks with fleece, it might let them get established. But time will tell, they won't grow a lot while its cold however.