Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with a wheelchair

Well her story just fills you with dread doesn't it. I have to say I flew Easyjet in 2012 with a hire manual (all OK) and with my own Karma manual in 2013 (Monarch i think. But now I need my powered chair and the thought of THAT going wrong is dreadful!! It was bad enough breaking down in Lancaster once.
    More research to be done methinks!!

I've just had a rant in the thread about Manchester airport. Based on my experience, it's the worst airport in terms of traveling with a wheelchair, but I might have been unlucky. We all arrange assistance in advance LT! It's very very different if you're able to walk short distances. In terms of airlines, some seem better than others. Randomly Virgin and Lufthansa have worked well for me.

I'm pretty laid back and reckon I do a lot, but posting this morning makes me realise I need to get a bit more confident about travelling by air again. I also need a holiday!

Well where we go, I imagine it won't be from Manchester (sorry LT!) Living in the Midlands more likely East Midlands. Even if we went to Gatwick. Another issue is train from Telford to Manchester means Cross country rail. Upon phoning XCountry, there limit on size of wheelchair is 70 cm wide......which us a bit shite, in my book!! I got the Lightdrive on....by removing the back wheel, joystick and footplates. NOT a picnic on a moving train, I'll tell you. But my new off roader is not going via cross country. B#######ds!!

I just stumbled across this information that might be useful . . .

http://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/blog...ane-wheelchair

Can I carry Lithium ion batteries in the aircraft cabin?

You can carry a maximum of two spare lithium ion batteries in carry-on baggage and these must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. Battery terminals must be either recessed or packaged so as to prevent contact with metal objects including terminals of other batteries.

Last edited by Lighttouch; 12-08-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Awe man that sucks,70cm is a bit narrow! Just a thought but can't you box around the direct route a bit and maybe get a wider limit? May be an extra wee while travelling but will save you stripping a chair down on a train. Just a thought,maybe not a goer but worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I prefer to use wheelchair assistance that I arrange in advance. You're the first on the plane and the last one off. However, if assisted they take you through a rabbit warren of corridors as a short cut - through passport control for just you. At the conveyor belt they'l collect your luggage and take you outside to the taxi-rank and you'l get the next taxi available. When I visited New York I was the last off our plane and the first one to leave the airport in a Yellow Cab. There are some advantages to being disabled!
    I found this lady online https://www.carrieannlightley.com/ and she is a fellow Lightdrive owner. She recommends putting the motor in a hard shell suitcase and the lithium ion battery has to be carried on. So we would most definitely be booking assistance. Bear in mind I can't self-propel, and my partner is not strong enough to push me OR a trolley which would have 2 large cases, 2 small, PLUS 1 case of medical equipment for him and hard shell suitcase with motor and lithium ion battery. All of the above needs carting from the taxi.....we can't even get in the airport w.o. help!!

Our experience so far has been good (Gatwick), abandoned at the arrivals dept (Rhodes) and that was w.o. the motor. Excuse me for being a bit paranoid.