Thread: DLA to PIP assesment not good

DLA to PIP assesment not good

Hi all,
    First time poster that could do with some advise if possible.
    My partner who used to be on high rate DLA care and low rate mobility with indefinate award for schizophrenia,social phobias,depression and anxiety recently had her pip assesment.
    The decision was they awarded her 8 points as such only award low rate care and no mobility.
    The main excuse they used was that because she has a driving licence and occasionaly drives she has no cognitive impairment because she is able to control a car.

I've asked for a mandatory reconsideration which was 10 days ago now and still not recieved her pip medical assesment report to dispute evidenced it was based on, and it is on hold till they recieve my reply before 8th Dec.
    The DVLA state people with schizophrenia and cognitive problems can still drive with the say so of a GP which was done years ago is it worthwhile challenging this and i was always under the impression a symptom of schizoprenia was a cognitive impairment, how i prove this iam not sure.
    She has had her diagnoses for over 15yrs and as her carer for that last 6 or so years have tried to keep all records, she recieves ESA and in the support group and we have her medical report from her assessment from last year not sure if that would be any use with her appeal.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

You have to remember that PIP is very different to DLA.

PIP is not about your conditions, it is about your abilities to manage your daily life and to get about.

Obviously any condition can/will affect your abilities, but it's the abilities that count and not the condition itself.

Different people can have the same conditions but their abilities can be very different.

As you point out yourself the DVLA also recognise this, and some with certain conditions can drive while other with the same conditions are not allowed to.

So it all depends on the abilities of each person and not the condition itself.

ESA is judged totally differently again, ESA is all about your abilities to do any work. (How you get to work, or how you manage at home, is not important for ESA).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Just to let you know her award was reinstated on Mandatory Reconsideration, due to evidence of hospital consultant and ESA health care professionals report. she previously had 8pts on both elements but now awarded 27pts in total.
    I did follow advice from the forum regarding not blaming the assessor and went into detail regarding the discriptors rather than ramble on.

Good result, especially at MR without having to go to tribunal.

Nice to hear that advice on the forum was of help.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Good to hear a positive result from a Mandatory Reconsideration as well.