Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PIP Migration - wife

PIP Migration - wife

So, shortly after my wife’s ESA decision, she’s had the dreaded pip migration ‘invitation’.

I’ll keep any questions I have in here, as this is the first time we’ve gone through the PIP procedure.

My first one, as ‘psychological distress’ isn’t explicitly explained by the DWP, there are many studies that have been conducted that have described BPD(emotionally unstable personality disorder) as at the crossroads of emotional / neurological illnesses, these studies have found that BPD patients typically have large cognitive deficits in most areas of cognition, especially in planning, attention and impulse control.

Do you think it would be a good angle to go down and leave psychological distress as a backup? After all, if there was no impairment there would be no distress...

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried asking their GP to fill in the how your disability affects you form?

Or more to the point, fill in a form with the descriptors on it?

B&W have a simplified form with the descriptors for GP's to fill in. To date it seems to be getting mixed response depending on your GP. For my wifes appeal I did ask our GP to take a look which she dis and endorsed it. However, many GP's seem resistant as they don't have the specific daily knowledge of how your functionaliy is affected only a medical opinion
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Can’t afford b&w membership atm, maybe I’ll have a look in a couple of weeks and spend Christmas money on it ???? thanks David. Our GP has usually been very helpful so fingers crossed

To be honest it is really just a copy of the self test descriptors but without the points scoring, but explaining the need for Reliability in each activity ie.
    Safety
    To an appropriate standard
    Repeatedly
    In a timely manner

and on the majority of days

Very easy for you to reproduce ( even if I can't copy it over 0
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

I’ll have a go and see what she says, hopefully it will carry some weight! Thanks again

Why is it "dreaded"? It is just an opportunity to get across how you manage ot not, day to day...........Not a medical, just about how you are affected by your condition or conditions.

Your best plain is to ask your wife to make a daily diary outlining how her disability affects her daily life from daw4n to dusk.

Your Doctor will always think in terms of 'medical problems and may just write out a list of medical problems your wife has, aI would write a letter to your doctor and briefly outline the disabling barriers your wife faces based on the 'descriptors'.

The letter will help her Doctor compile an effective letter to the DWP.

Hello Stree

Many including myself think of the assessments as as ‘dreaded’.

Some including myself have enormous difficulty talking/thinking about our disabilities and the effect they have on our lives, especially if they have a highly personal or intimate affect. Enough in my own case to need long term psychiatric care.

To then be forced to sit before a complete stranger in an assessment and explain to them more than I am able to explain to my long standing psychiatrist feels me with complete an utter ‘dread’.

Hi stree. Unfortunately the system doesn’t always work like that, I genuinely wish it was a good, happy event but the fact is for many it’s extremely traumatic.

Having to live with your limitations is one thing, having to talk about them (especially about mental health) to someone who most likely doesn’t have a clue about your condition is something completely different.

That’s before you even get to the fabricated assessment reports etc.

So yeah, everyone knows that it’s not a fair assessment, and with vulnerable people that can definitely make it a ‘dreaded’ event.