Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP assessment scored zero.

PIP assessment scored zero.

Hello and hope you are all ok.After a terrifying PIP assessment 3 weeks ago I received the news yesterday that I scored zero. Previously I received highest rate of DLA for personal care, I have Bipolar Disorder, Severe OCD and epilepsy.I see a therapist every week which I have to pay for and she wrote me a letter of support.I need ongoing therapy for MH, I received this previously from NHS, but it could only be for a limited time. I am going to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration, would anyone advise me to send anything with it such as a supporting letter from my GP? to confirm what I,m saying,?.Any advice/help much appreciated. Also I,m in receipt of income related ESA, in the support group, does anyone know if this will be affected.Many thanks.

My advice would be to get as much supporting evidence as possible, sometimes it can be difficult to obtain it all in the time frame your given for the mandatory reconsideration, but remember you can send additional information after you've set the wheels in motion and asked for the mandatory reconsideration, remember to follow up asking for the mandatory reconsideration over the phone in writing also, this is your chance to set the record straight, you can ask for the assessors report, I would try and do this as soon as possible, I'm sure nukecad will be on here at some point and can provide more info than I've been able to do, most of all good luck I had exactly the same done to me in my move from dla to pip, so what your going through you aren't alone and there's great advice on here from lovely people.

Thanks very much ,I really appreciate your kindness at this stressful time.

Don't be disheartened by your zero score. nothing unusual there just a DWP tactic hoping you will just go away & not bother with your claim further.Don't hold your breath with your MR either, wait for your day at the tribunal.
    Call me Mike.

Hi middleaged,

First thing to say is that this will not affect the main component of ESA.
    But:
    As you are on Income Related ESA SG, and had highest care DLA I assume that you were getting the Severe Disability Premium.
    This particular premium will now stop until/unless you get awarded PIP
    The rest of your ESA will not be affected, just this premium.

I have to say that I have never had a PIP claim myself, I'm an ESA claimant.
    So others will have more actual experience of PIP.

It's hard to give more than general advice without knowing just what was said and discussed at your assessment.

The main thing to note is that the PIP assessment is all about how you are able to cope with daily living and getting about.
    It is not about what condition you have other than the fact that this backs up what you say about your abilities.

For instance just having epilepsy will not qualify for PIP, but if it is severe enough that you can't leave the house safely then it could qualify.

(I don't know how severe your epilepsy is, but the fact that you went to your assessment does not mean that it was potentialy safe to do so, you could have taken a risk).

You need to get across how your Bipolar, OCD, and epilepsy impact on your ability to cope with your life, and with getting about.
    And you need to do it in a way that fits in with the 'descriptors' that they are looking for.

You don't seem to have any help with your PIP claim?
    You should realy consider getting help from CAB or another organisation close to you.
    They deal with PIP claims all the time; they know what to concentrate on and can identify the points that will help you qualify, and help with how to get these points across.

As others have said don't be too discouraged at this stage.
    Many people who score zero at first go on to get awarded PIP, either at MR or at Tribunal. Especially those who are transfering from DLA.

PIP is very different from DLA - people transfering often don't realise this at first, treat it as if is was DLA, and so approach it in the wrong way and score zero.
    Which is another good reason to get help from a welfare organisation, who do know what approach is needed for PIP.
    When those who get it wrong at first go and get help they usually get their PIP award at tribunal.

It just takes a bit more time and effort, and a bit of knowledge of how you need to word your answers to fit with what they are looking for.
    Last edited by nukecad; 26-11-17 at 15:59.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

It is important to understend the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good place to start is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There has also been some new rulings with regard to epilepsy, see this from DNS

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...on-pip-safety/
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Quote Originally Posted by David69 View Post
    It is important to understend the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good place to start is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

There has also been some new rulings with regard to epilepsy, see this from DNS

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...on-pip-safety/
    Hi David, do you think this decision would affect only those with epilepsy or being able to do something 'safely' in general?

Thanks for your reply, Much appreciated.

Hello, thanks for all the helpful information, really tried to put across how everything made the activities difficult. I will take on board all your advice for the next step.

Thank you, all very helpful.