Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Payment.

Cold Weather Payment.

Because of the recent cold snap I thought I would take a look again at the 'Cold Weather Payment'.

NOTE- This in not the 'Winter Fuel Payment' (for Pensioners) or the 'Warm Home Discount' (knocked off your electricity bill); those are two different things.

The 'Cold Weather Payment' is a payment of £25 if you are getting certain benefits and the average temperature in your postcode area falls below zero degrees C (or is forcast to be) for a full 7 consecutive days. It runs between 1 November and 31 March.

You don't have to claim it, if a particular week qualifies then it is (should be) paid into your bank within 14 days.

You may get Cold Weather Payments if you’re getting:
    • Pension Credit
    • Income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Universal Credit

There are other qualifying conditions though; I looked particularly at ESA and Universal Credit.

The government website says:

For ESA it has to be Income Related ESA, and you also have to have any one of: (This is wrong - see the edit below).
    • [a severe or enhanced disability premium
    • a pensioner premium
    • a child who is disabled
    • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
    • a child under 5 living with you

For Universal Credit you have to have to be not employed or self-employed, and any one of:
    • you get a limited capability for work amount (with or without a work-related activity amount)
    • you get the disabled child amount in your claim
    • you have a child under 5 living with you

So if you are on UC with any Limited Capability element then you are eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if the average temprature in your area falls below 0 for a full week.
    With IR ESA you are probably not eligible unless you also get a disability premium on your ESA.

Another surprise where UC could actually pay something that IR ESA wouldn't.

More information:
    http://researchbriefings.files.parli...6/CBP-7826.pdf

EDIT-
    The eligibility criteria as given on the government website is wrong.
    The legislation does not say that you need to have any premium with IR ESA, just that you have been awarded a group, WRAG or SG.
    For a fuller explanation see here:
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...l=1#post143041
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-09-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Ive had it with contribution ESA because I also had disability premiums as well. I was told I got it because of the premiums and the contribution based ESA didn't prevent it.

Of course that might be what you mean and I've misunderstood in which case apologies.

If you are getting the disability premiums then in your case you have Contribution Based ESA with an Income Related entitlement.

The disability premiums are only paid with CB ESA if you also have an IR entitlement.

So the IR entitlement plus the disability premium means that you are entitled to the Cold Weather Payment. (If it's cold enough where you live).

Thankyou for explaining. It's not cold enough, I just wanted to clarify.

It’s cold enough in some parts of the country bekki, it’s more whether it lasts. It doesn’t often average 0 in this country for long. Some parts of Scotland it probably does though.

Sorry I meant to type cold enough for long enough!

It's been freezing most of the week here, snowed in and cut off completely now, but it's isn't low enough for the seven consecutive days.

You can check if your getting a Cold Weather Payment at coldweatherpayments.dwp.gov.uk just enter the first 3 letters of your post code

Opps forgot to put check in

Quote Originally Posted by RobcarerT View Post
    It’s cold enough in some parts of the country bekki, it’s more whether it lasts. It doesn’t often average 0 in this country for long. Some parts of Scotland it probably does though.
    That briefing paper I linked to above give some figures for payments in the last few years:
    In the last few winters, relatively mild weather meant that far fewer payments were made compared with previous years. In winter 2015/2016, 155,000 payments were made totalling £3.9 million. This was low compared with the previous year, in which DWP made 422,000 awards totalling £10.6 million. Winter 2013/2014 was exceptionally mild and payments “triggered” in one area only (postcodes linked to the Braemar weather station) in one week. Only 1,100 payments were made, totalling £27,500.
    So
    2013/2014 there were 1,100 CW payments made
    2014/2015 there were 422,000 CW payments made
    2015/2016 there were 155,000 CW payments made

I can only find estimated figures for 2016/2017:
    2016/2017 there were 131,000 CW payments made. There were 13 'trigger' events, all in Scotland. (Braemar was triggered 4 times).

https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment

I put ours in and it's not been low enough for 7 days
    Sea Queen

Ah well, they're not going to make it easy.

It can average 20 below for 6 days, but if the 7th averages above zero than that's it.

I just checked which weather station they use/monitor for my part of Cumbria.
    St Bees Head, right on the coast where the sea keeps everything a couple of degrees warmer.
    (Now if they used Shap it might be a different story, they are always closing the M6 there for snow/ice).

EDIT
    I just checked the 3 Met Office monitoring stations that they use round here for the DWP average figures, actual temperature at 23:00 tonight-

St Bees Head- minus 2.0 deg C.
    Shap- minus 8.7 deg C.
    Carlisle- minus 6.1 deg C.

You can see what a difference being right next to the sea makes.
    Shap has not got above zero all day.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-11-2017 at 12:03 AM.