Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sale of Goods-washing machine leaking!

AAARRRGGGHHH! Spoke too soon! After a wash this afternoon...it bloody re-appeared...the leak from dispenser drawer/tray.

This has been cleaned even though it wasn't dirty anyway as it is cleaned regularly(machine is only 5 month old and still looks brand new when drawer taken out!). Took out the filter at bottom of machine, towels at the ready. About a cupful of water came out and again the filter was clean and clear. The only info can add is that leak appears at the end of the cycle!? Have also been through user manual and it does not address this leak directly-only 'troubleshoots' leak coming from bottom of machine-which we know it isn't-and not from the dispenser area. Also know that machine is level!

I was just completing the online form kindly given in link by phaedra & decided to come back and update. Glad I did as number 7 advises, we have been thorugh the checks mentioned and still no resolution. As No 7 advises might have been charged if did not go through checks but we have. It is impossible for us to delve any deeper into the problem ie-seeing further down the pipe leading from dispenser drawer area (once drawer has been removed) to see if anything is blocking pipe further down! Unless there is anything else we can do maybe whilst the dispenser drawer is out and have access to this pipe, any other ideas as to what we could pour down to try and rectify, if there is a blockage or just leave well alone@

After reading No7 advice about incurring charges, as machine seems to only leak on certain cycles and at end of cycle, now, what happens if leak doesn't appear when engineer attends? (Yep, I know I worry which doesnt help, but trying to cover all bases and do all possible our end so not as to give them opportunity to charge fee!)

or is it now just a case of only real option left is to contact via online form and hope matter resolved from there?

Again, MT's for added replies & any further advice.

Very odd as at the end of the cycle it sould all be at the bottom emptying and not at the filling.

Odd that it's coming from the drawer.

It could still be something down the filler pipe (rinse cycle).

Long piece of plastic? Not wire like a coat hanger more like a cable tie.

And try to make a hook in the end.
    Another thing I've seen down there is a child's sock.
    (Mummy I helped with the washing).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

LOL Cheers nuke. Definitely no socks or small items of clothing lost or 'eaten' by wash machine!

Have DM'ed Beko UK on twitter informaing of everything here in this post as to what the prob is and what we have done to resolve, to no avail! Have asked if there is anything else we can do rather than waste time of engineer attending (even though under guarantee!) and will await reply.

Only next steps I can think of doing would be to take a screwdriver and delve further but this would void warranty/guarantee (if out of date may well have doen this already). Failing any further advice will have to just complete online form, let engineer attend and if for any reason (although there shouldn't be) deal with any charge/fee at the time, and argue it from there. TY for your replies though.

Talking of white goods.

Whirlpool bought out Creda and Hotpoint. I found that my 11 year old Hotpoint dryer was on their list of appliances that could burst into flames.

I contacted Whirlpool and they sent me a link to a retailers where I was offered several types of replacement dryer delivered and installed for free. The replacement was valued at £250 but I was able to buy it for about £50!

My previous dryer was solidly built, mechanical in nature and worked without any service throughout it's life. All I did was defluff it!

Most quality manufacturers should offer a 12 month Warrantee on products and either repair or replace it if faulty.

I don't mind spending a bit more on a quality brand as the product will give years of service without fault.

The Sale of Goods Act refers to products which 'aren't fit for purpose'. The retailer who sold the faulty goods should come out and at least change some seals to see if that's the problem.

Good luck.

Had actually totally forgotten about 1st port of call should be retailer...in this case CurrysPCWorld. As item is less than 6 months old a quick check of their terms and conditions means I should contact them 1st. They do say in T&Cs that they will prob pass on the repair to 'in this case' Beko, but at least this should lessen the potential of any callout fee.

Have also had thought that next time leak haooens to actually video same on phone...to be on safe side.

Looks like gonna be busier than thought, never mind christmas, still got chemo and stem cell transplant to lookforward to and deal with!

I just had a thought,
    I have a Beko and I used to occasionally get mountains of foam coming out of the dispenser drawer.

The first few times I wasn't there to see it happen, you just set it going and go do something else.
    So I only saw the water down the front of the machine / on the floor after the machine had finished. (the bubbles had collapsed).
    When I did the next wash I kept an eye on it and saw the foam pouring out of the drawer.

This isn't what you are seeing is it?

I worked out that it only happened on hotter washes, 60 or 90 degrees, never on cooler washes.

It was the washing powder.
    Most are formulated to work at low tempratures these days and so you have to use less powder than normal, (or only 1/2 tablet), when using a hot wash, otherwise it foams up like buggery and the only place for it to go is out of the dispenser drawer.

About the only other thing I can think of at the moment is if the drawer is loose and the force of the water coming in is pushing it open and then spraying out?
    If it's happening near the end of a cycle then maybe that suggests it's as the incoming water is being sprayed into the fabric conditioner section?

Ok Spencer, now we know the w/m still displays a slight leak towards the end of cycle.

Considering you've already cleaned the soap drawer and lifted out the softner compartment to ensure water can escape.

If water pressure is too high you'd end up with the very symptoms you describe.....solution, turn down the cold supply a tad.
    i.e. the blue plumbing valve in your cupboard or behind the machine.

Try what I've mentioned and get back to us...........I don't want to bamboozle with instruction just yet when there's probably no need.

Good luck

HI Nuke and No7, reallly appreciate your input and grateful to have a place to ask these q's.

Couple of points that we can't understand and can hopefully eliminate. Nuke, have aways used same powder (non bio) due to my eczema. My washes are generally hotter washes and we did 2 hot washes and no leak at any stage-these are also 2.5 hour washes. Again, drawer fits perfect as always has and fits snugly. Have even thgought of watching cycle with drawer slightly open to see if anything obvious-like you say maybe water coming into drawwer compartment too fast which would then bring us to No7 suggestion about water pressure.

No7, only reason why cannot understand it would be this is machine has been installed by Currys in July and blue tap at back under sink has never been changed-obvious query here is why would pressure change now?

We know we have a little time to play with as 6 month date is at mid January when contact have to be made with either CurrysPCWorld or Beko (reading Currys T&Cs they say they would prob arrange to send engineer from beko anyway-but going via Cyrrys puts the ball in their court which should be the correct way forward). However, if matter can be dealt with ourrselves with your help then always better as feels as though something achieved.

many thanks again for early responses guys. Will get back with new results as soon as poss. Only prob is we have now caught up on washing!

If you bought a washing machine and you have problems with it within a reasonable time (6 months is certainly a reasonable time) then it is the retailer who sold it to you that you should be contacting about this and not the manufacturer.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for the purpose made known at the time of sale by you or the seller.

This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

Here is a template letter that can be used to write to whoever you bought it from, all you need to do id to put in your details etc.

Your name
    First line of address
    Second line of address
    Third line of address
    Fourth line of address

Contact telephone number
    Owner/Manager’s name
    First line of company address
    Second line of company address
    Third line of company address
    Fourth line of company address

Today’s date

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Faulty goods and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)

On [date of purchase] I bought a [description of purchase] from you for [insert price] which has stopped working.

The problem is [enter description of fault].

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) states that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be: as described; of a satisfactory quality; and fit for the purpose made known at the time of sale by you or the seller.

This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says: if goods break within the first six months after purchase then there is a presumption the goods were faulty when sold.

My goods are not [delete as appropriate - as described/fit for purpose/of satisfactory quality] and I wish to claim a [delete as appropriate - repair/replacement/refund] of my goods under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended.

Please respond to my complaint within 7 days from receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully,
    [your name]

I hope that helps you.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post
    obvious query here is why would pressure change now?
    That depends on your supplier.

We had some changes to our water supply a few months back, and the supply pressure increased.

2 compression joints in the bathroom, and the mains inlet to the boiler, started to leak slightly due to the increased mains pressure.
    (Luckily a few minutes with a couple of spanners to tighten the joints cured all 3).

Number7's idea to try closing the inlet valve a bit to reduce the flow could be worth a try.
    Last edited by nukecad; 19-12-17 at 14:05.