Thread: Is the DWP trying it on with me?

Is the DWP trying it on with me?

As some of you may remember, I was moved back in to Support Group in November when the DWP gave in before my appeal. So, had a letter today and this is the start of the second paragraph, exactly as it's typed: "Whilst you have been moved back in to SG, we still feel that you have potential for work-related activities and therefore you must see a work coach again or lose some of your benefit. We will write to you shortly with details of when and where to meet your new Work Coach" I saw a work coach in Oct. but was temporarily in the WRAG then! Then it goes on all about them helping me back in to work when fit in the future, and "maybe helping you to manage your illness or disability better" What the hell are they on about? Are they Dr.'s or something? If I do get an appointment do I have to attend or be sanctioned, as it says here?

Can they make me see a work coach whilst in SG? Just rung up and she says they can't force me to do wra by law as am not in the WRAG but some people in SG now still have to see the work coach. Is she spinning me a yarn or what? Shouldn't be forced to see anyone and what's this "potential" for WRA all about? Seems like because they gave in and moved me back in to the SG they're trying to get me to do stuff that I shouldn't have to now.
    Last edited by crazychris; 12-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Pretty sure they can’t _make_ you do anything whilst in support group.

Quote Originally Posted by RobcarerT View Post
    Pretty sure they can’t _make_ you do anything whilst in support group.
    That's what I thought as you're not fit for work or wra but she said on the phone that seeing a work coach isn't actually either of those!!

Maybe they've found a loophole in the rules then.

Yes they try it on.
    No they can't mandate you to do WRA.

But they have always been able to ASK you to do WRA.
    And they can in some cases mandate you to interviews, but have to take account of your (dis)abilities before doing so.

I believe they are going to be doing more of this in future.

The law says they can't mandate you to do WRA.
    It does not say that they can't mandate you to attend the jobcentre. (Subject to capability).

Most would regard those as the same thing, but under the law they are not.
    It is a condition of your claim to attend the jobcentre.

They will try to get you to volunteer for WRA, and be very careful because the new Health & Work Programme has started in some areas (the rest start next month).
    You don't want to volunteer for that.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

So would you advise that I go if I get an appointment?

If you can manage it yes, but like I say be careful what you agree to. (Volunteer for).

Bear in mind that the Work Coach is probably not happy about this either.

They know what the craik is, and would rather not waste your time and theirs.

But when they are told to do something they have to or face their own fornms of sanctions, job reviews, etc.

So if you can go and be reasonable they can tick the boxes they need to, oils the wheels and helps keep them off your back.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-18-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazychris View Post
    As some of you may remember, I was moved back in to Support Group in November when the DWP gave in before my appeal. So, had a letter today and this is the start of the second paragraph, exactly as it's typed: "Whilst you have been moved back in to SG, we still feel that you have potential for work-related activities and therefore you must see a work coach again or lose some of your benefit. We will write to you shortly with details of when and where to meet your new Work Coach" I saw a work coach in Oct. but was temporarily in the WRAG then! Then it goes on all about them helping me back in to work when fit in the future, and "maybe helping you to manage your illness or disability better" What the hell are they on about? Are they Dr.'s or something? If I do get an appointment do I have to attend or be sanctioned, as it says here?

Can they make me see a work coach whilst in SG? Just rung up and she says they can't force me to do wra by law as am not in the WRAG but some people in SG now still have to see the work coach. Is she spinning me a yarn or what? Shouldn't be forced to see anyone and what's this "potential" for WRA all about? Seems like because they gave in and moved me back in to the SG they're trying to get me to do stuff that I shouldn't have to now.
    Looks to me Chris, like you've been chosen to break ground on this 'new look' Support Group regime, where a very small number will no longer need to be continually re-assessed and get left alone, while the vast majority will be "invited" along to a "Health & Work Conversation" as first vented in the Green Paper last year.
    I've seen one of the other cases reported recently, over on the B&W site, but your the first of what looks like the "Conversation" group. As nuke indicates, best to play along with it and see how it pans out.

Best of luck with it and please keep us informed.
    Last edited by Jard; 12-19-2017 at 07:40 PM.

It does sound like the 'Health and Work Conversation'.

The wording of your letter is very similar to that reported in this FoI request:
    You may be interested in the DWPs replies.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...sed_interviews

You will probably be asked to fill in a "Health and Work Conversation" questionaire.
    This asks about any work you could do or would like to do, voulntary work, etc. and what you think is stopping you from doing it.
    The 'work coach' will fill in most of this with you.

It's all total psychobabble bulls**t.

If you have time before you go and want to see the questionaire in advance then click on this link:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...4c.ESAHWC1.pdf
    Don't fill that one in, you are supposed to go through one with your work coach.

There is also a 'My Values' thing that you are supposed to fill in but not show to the work coach:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

Health and work questions/answers. "What kind of things do you like?" Sleeping, watching telly, eating cake, sleeping some more.
    "What are you good at? Sleeping, watching telly,eating cake, sleeping some more.
    "How does your health effect you? See ESA claim forms.

If their gonna ask stupid questions........

Quote Originally Posted by Archersmate View Post
    If their gonna ask stupid questions........
    What can you expect when you copy your policies directly from a coffee table 'self help' book?

And I'm not joking, it's directly based on this book:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rethinking-...3870765&sr=1-1

Even the author, Proffessor Oettingen, describes her ideas in there as 'off the wall'.