Thread: ESA Reasessment deferred until feb 2020? slightly confused. help?

Question ESA Reasessment deferred until feb 2020? slightly confused. help?

Hi to all, and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

i contacted the DWP a while back and they said my reassessment was feb '18, with a 12 month 'prognosis' according to my ESA85A, but upon calling them regarding another matter, they advised that is has been deferred until 2020 with no explanation as to why?

also, i am due to receive £11k from the CICA, will this effect my benefits. two advisers at the DWP said there's a 52 week disregard? what exactly does this entail as i know the DWP could hide behind a corkscrew.

Many thanks to all,

Nath

Defering your assessment is not that unusual, I've had it done twice in sucession for 2 years each time.
    (I've not had a re-assessment since 2012/2013, but I did get an ESA50 a couple of months ago).

They usually do it if they are busy with other things.
    I know that in my area they recently stopped WFI's and most reassessments while they were doing training for the UC rollout.

With regard to your compensation payment;

If it is not in a trust fund then there is a 52 week disregard. (Compensation in a trust fund has slightly different rules).
    This is set out in the Decision Makers Guidance, Volume 9, Chapter 52, sections 52503 and 52504.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...78/dmgch52.pdf

This means that the compensation money is not treated as capital for 52 weeks from when you get it, and so will not reduce any Income Related benefit payments.
    (You can also safely spend any or all of this compensation money without worrying about Deprivation of Capital rules).

Anything left after the 52 weeks will be treated as capital, and if over £6,000 will reduce the payment of Income Related benefits.

Contribution Based benefits are not affected by capital.
    So if your ESA is Contribution Based then it will not be affected even after the 52 weeks.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.