Thread: DLA to PIP - Lose 1 week's money 4 weeks' & 2 days' after last DLA payment

DLA to PIP - Lose 1 week's money 4 weeks' & 2 days' after last DLA payment

The actual change from DLA to PIP is very misleading, because, on my bank statement it appears' that I have lost a week of Personal Care / Daily Living, on the changeover.

I was on DLA Highest rates' for Personal Care & Mobility, for Life, but I have just changed over, following a Mandatory Reconsideration Notice which changed the initial PIP award of Standard rates' for Daily Living & Mobility (Loss of Car), until 2019, to Enhanced rates' for Daily Living & Mobility, for "AN ONGOING PERIOD" (which I never knew existed).

But, seeing as the rates' are the same now, I expected the changeover to be straightforward. It is NOT...

Here's the way it has worked for my £83.10 per week Daily Living (Motability receive the Mobility portion)...

1) Wednesday 22.11.2017 Bank payment £332.40 (DLA).
    2) Wednesday 20.12.2017 Bank payment £332.40 (DLA).
    3) Tuesday 26.12.2017 DLA Ended.
    4) Wednesday 27.12.2017 PIP Started.
    5) Wednesday 17.01.2018 Would have been a DLA payment of £332.40 (4 weeks' after the last payment)
    BUT
    6) Friday 19.01.2018 Bank payment £273.04 (PIP) 4 weeks' & 2 days' after my last DLA payment (W,20.12.2017) which is down by £59.36 (5 days' & based on the £332.40), but also down by £23.74, which is the 2 days' extra because of the change from Wednesday payments' to Friday payments', totalling 7 days' in all.
    £59.36 + £23.74 = £83.10 (a Full week missing).

7) Wednesday 14.02.2018 Would have been a DLA payment of £332.40 (4 weeks' after the last payment).
    8) Friday 16.02.2018 Has been confirmed to be a Bank payment £332.40 (PIP).

See the problem?
    To my way of thinking I have just been underpaid £83.10 4 weeks' & an extra 2 days' after I was last paid DLA, which obviously is a big loss when you have to pay bills' out of it etc..

It was explained to me that DLA pay 3 weeks' in Arrears' & 1 week in Advance. Therefore their payment was correct to Tuesday 26.12.2017.
    PIP, on the other hand, pay 4 weeks' in Arrears', so their 3 week payment is correct also.

Hardly a bloody straight changeover is it?
    I have £83.10 LESS with which to pay my way & because our beloved Government have set up PIP in this way, they have swindled the DLA / PIP disabled out of 1 weeks' money, which will obviously not be paid back in the event of loss of allowance, or death, will it?

Boils' down to the usual Political / Elite (Scum) way of picking on the weakest / easy targets' in society yet again ... The Disabled!

Let's just look at this another way, to show as an example...

If we are working & every 4 weeks' we receive a wage of £400.00
    Then our firm get's taken over by another firm & on our next 4 weekly payment only pays' us £300.00 & 2 days' later, but swear's blind that in another 4 weeks' our wage will return to £400.00.
    Would we stand for it? NO!

I worked 17 years' for British Rail, then they sold our department to Centrac (Tarmac) & since to Carillion.
    There was no change or break in my wages'. Although I'm now expecting the worst with my Pension, of course (Carillion)???
    But, whatever happens', my Pension will continue to be paid on the same day, exactly 4 weeks' since the last.

I'll have to leave this for you guys' to get your head around, but, on a brighter note...
    1) I believe that the initial move to Standard rate on PIP is how the system works' ie. We get knocked down a notch until we complain. Then, if we are legit, our PIP gets' resumed to the highest rates', or the next one up, if lower.
    2) The Mandatory Reconsideration Notice does' actually work. So not everyone has to take their case to the ends' of the Earth.
    Also,
    3) The General view that PIP has a Maximum review date of 4/5 years', does' have a "Life" equivalent. It's simply worded "For an ongoing period".
    So don't let the depression get to you, if you are going through the change

I think, personally, that for those transferring directly from DLA to PIP, the DWP should make an additional payment to cover the difference ie: £83.10 to help make the payments' the same on changeover, making the 2 days' irrelevant really.

I apologise for the essay
    Last edited by Firebrand; 01-20-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Wouldn't you have been on standard pip until the reconsideration went through? therefore for that period of time been less than once they changed you from pip standard to enhanced? when mine went over from dla to pip there wasn't any loss but i didn't ask for a reconsideration. Pip also as 10yrs period as well as ongoing someone i know got ongoing and rang and asked and was told it usually means indefinate but that they can still call you in at any time. when you are awarded 3, 4 or 5 or 10yrs you go in a year earlier. But as with anything to do with benefits they can do what they like when they like sad but true
    Last edited by freedomeagle; 01-20-2018 at 05:49 PM.

I see your point, thanks' for explaining, but the Mandatory Reconsideration appeal was sent in within days' of being cut down to the Standard rates & I followed some advice on a website saying to phone them 2 weeks' after we've sent the appeal, simply to make sure that the appeal has been logged.
    I phoned on the 22nd December & was shocked when the lad on the phone told me that a letter was sent to me on the 20th, which he read out over the phone.
    I never expected to get a Mandatory Reconsideration Notice issued in under 2 weeks'. I can't explain the emotion following the stress.
    The Standard award had an implementation date as the 26th December & so did the Enhanced award, so it was a change of name only, from DLA to PIP in the end.

The Standard letter says' that the sum of £255.14 will be paid into my bank on the 19th January & the Enhanced letter say's that £463.61 will be paid into my account on the 19th January.
    Both state that the PIP award(s) are what is owed from 27th December to the 18th January.
    It was only when I checked my bank, to pay some bills' yesterday & saw that the actual amount is £273.04, that I had to question it.
    I expected the £332.40 at the least, but with + 2 days' £23.74 because it was being paid on a Friday, instead of the Wednesday, but certainly not £59.36 short (5 days). Actually makes' the full week with the 2 day change added on.
    These people are not "Our" Government. We serve them, not the other way round.