Thread: Esa full time student

Esa full time student

Hi, I wonder if any one can advise me, I'm going to make a new claim for my son for Esa hes turning 20 soon, he is a full time student in a learning support unit for autism, he currently receives Enhanced Pip care and Enhanced Pip mobility, will he still need to fill in the work capability form and be expected to look for work, thanks any info would be great.

I believe we already went throught this, and thought you had the college welfare team helping you?
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...esa-claim-help!!

As a full time student already claiming PIP he is not required to undergo a Work Capability Assessment to be awarded ESA WRAG.

Full time students claiming DLA/PIP are automatically regarded as having Limited Capability for Work.

Full time students will not be awarded ESA Support Group, as they are already attending college/university it would be impossible to claim that they could not manage to do Work Related Activites.

As long as he is at college full time he will not be expected to look for work or to do any Work Related Activities.
    (He may be expected to do some practice CV/letter writing etc. during the summer break, but they often don't bother).
    Last edited by nukecad; 21-01-18 at 22:17.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi thank you for your reply,
    I enquired at the College no help was forthcoming, asked on different groups etc messages were mixed so bit the bullet and phoned up Esa and made a claim on my sons behalf.
    The lady was very nice she went through the Esa1 form with me. She said my sons College course is nothing to worry about as he is doing life skills so without being horrible he wont gain anything out of it at the end he wont do an exam, he is learning personal care and preparation for life. She also said I will need to fill in a Esa50 for him which will be sent out in 3-4 weeks and he will hear back from them by 1 Feb with his award notice?? she advised me to take his sicknote to the job centre which I did today, She said he will have a health and work conversation, I'm still confused but now I suppose its wait and see. His O/T has written a letter confirming the disabled adaptions she put in for him, he has a bidet toilet as he cant mange his toilet needs and a wet room with half folding doors so I can wash him also other adaptions to keep him safe, he would be unable to do letter writing etc as he cannot fill in forms or understand what is written or even what is expected of him that's why I am his appointee so I'm hoping they will realise this from the evidence I will be submitting, thanks again for your advice, this is all new to me and ive had to take time off work to sort this out plus other stuff at college, kin
    d regards Kathleen.

The stuff the woman on the phone was talking about was just the standard procedure when making a new ESA claim.

That's all that they are trained about, they are not trained much about students claiming, or indeed anything that is outside 'the norm'.
    (Although this one did seem to know that he wouldn't need a face to face assessment).

He should now get an ESA50, fill it in and send it back.
    They should see from the answers that he is a disabled student with PIP and so he should should be automatically awarded LCW (ESA WRAG), and not have to go to a face to face assessment.

Any timescales and dates that they give you are guesswork, it all depends on their workload at any given time.

The Health and Work Conversation is a fairly new thing, it is done before you are assessed.
    This has caused complaints and problems because people who have no chance of getting to the Jobcentre are being told to go for one.

Again as a disabled student he is exempt from attending this.
    See page 2 of this, if necessary print it off and show/send it them:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

You shoud be aware that the rules on whether student loans, bursaries, etc. are classed as income or not for ESA purposes are prettty complicated.
    There is no way that I know about those and so you may need professional help if that becomes a problem.
    As you don't seem to be getting any help from the college then the Disabled Students Helpline may be a better option:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/h...dents-helpline

You may also be interested in this, don't know if he would qualify but may be worth looking at:
    https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas
    Last edited by nukecad; 22-01-18 at 22:18.

Hi, I will just have to wait and see what happens, hopefully he wont need a face to face, he doesn't get any grants or bursaries, his course is funded by the LEA as a high needs student (age 19-25) as he has an education health care plan, its all very complicated, I think the lady was reading from a text it all sounded very formal, thanks again for all the info its greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by irishkitty View Post
    hopefully he wont need a face to face,
    As said before, a disabled student already getting PIP/DLA is automatically classed as having LCW, so no face to face is needed and ESA WRAG is awarded automatically.