Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed up with TV

You can get a reasonable quality freeview recorder for much less than £200 - the cheapest in Currys is £125. I bought one on Amazon for £40 (but to be fair I wouldn't recommend that model but several under £100).

Freeview is no good in my area, low signal strength, we require Freesat, the cheapest recorder from Currys is £180 but the customer reviews on that model are not good. Over £200 the reviews are better.
    I can watch dvds and YouTube on the laptop, if I want a larger screen I can use the HDMI, with the rubbish they broadcast these days it seems the better and cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by suffolkbobby View Post
    Freeview is no good in my area, low signal strength, we require Freesat, the cheapest recorder from Currys is £180 but the customer reviews on that model are not good. Over £200 the reviews are better.
    I can watch dvds and YouTube on the laptop, if I want a larger screen I can use the HDMI, with the rubbish they broadcast these days it seems the better and cheaper option.
    Have you checked your freeview reception recently? Mine in central Essex (so probably going off the same transmitter as you going by your username) used to be lousy, but suddenly started working OK about a year ago.

However, Currys have a Humax box for £179 - probably the one that you mention. I have an older Humax model also on Freesat, and it has not let us down in at least five years; this was a replacement for a Sagem one that was useless.

Yes Keith, I have checked Freeview, but its still terrible, according to the checker today we can get 18 TV channels 0 HD and 18 radio, even the radio stutters.
    Funny that, I too had a Sagem that was bad and replaced with a Humax, it's not a recorder though and has gone through 3 remotes.

I don't get chance to watch a lot of TV. Three hours or less a day.
    I have watched some good dramas over the last months though. Very relaxing after a busy day!
    Sea Queen

The old man watches loads of sport. Don’t mind at all cos it is nigh on impossible to find something that doesn’t offend/annoy. We usually switch it off and put music on. The Doors or The Stones are way more preferable!

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    Well wean yourself off the telly!!! Telly is to grown ups what a dummy is to toddlers!!

Quote:
    "And the big red bus proved a big smokescreen didn'y it, for NOT giving the NHS teh money anyway. "

See that on the telly did you? So must be true?
    Actually no, i'm grown up enoff to assess the political situation for myself and have plenty interation with the NHS to see that its cash strapped. But i do not take offence at the remark and I don't really want to discuss politics here.

Not watched TV for more than 15 years but have a TV for DVD watching, no license required. On holiday last year hotel room had TV & switched it on to see what it's like these days, what a load of rubbish & the amount af ads is unbearable, I'm glad I'm out of it !
    Call me Mike.