Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefit and finances

Benefit and finances

I have just finished work, I am pension age and waiting to hear what other benefits I will be entitled to, I have a husband who doesn't have a job due to health.
    I have been in a debt management plan since 2005, now we have very little money I'm wondering if we are expected to pay creditors from the amount of benefit we get.
    Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    I have just finished work, I am pension age and waiting to hear what other benefits I will be entitled to, I have a husband who doesn't have a job due to health.
    I have been in a debt management plan since 2005, now we have very little money I'm wondering if we are expected to pay creditors from the amount of benefit we get.
    Does anyone know?
    From what you have said it seems that you are already receiving help as regards benefits so I wont address that (please return if you do need help with that aspect)

As regards your debt management plan who is this with? I hope it is with a non fee paying company.

You will need to report your change of circumstances to the DMP company and they will be able to adjust your payments or even seek full and final payment offers from your creditors if you received a lump sum after finishing work.

Could maybe look into a debt relief order?

Just pay your debts.
    Call me Mike.

Don’t be naive gus, circumstances change, most of the time without your control.

If someone got a mortgage then got hit by a car and couldn’t work, ever again. Would just tell them to pay their debt?

Not naive at all.Someone has to pay it. I've always paid my way in life, not always been easy either.
    Call me Mike.

You will be expected to repay your creditors, but speak to your debt management provider as lower repayments may be negotiated if your income has gone down.

That IS being naive. Congratulations to you on that, so have a great many people.

Sometimes people need extra help.

This applies financially too. i would have thought anyone posting on this site would have understood the benefits of having safeguarding measures for when the unforeseen happens.

I’m not getting an an argument with you, if you don’t have any constructive advice and aren’t willing to give the OP the benefit of doubt (considering we don’t actually know that much) then I would suggest not posting on this particular thread.

I have no other comments except to say 13 years with a debt management company ? Something is not quite right here.
    Call me Mike.

Possibly:

High debt but good job > injury/worsening condition > loss of job = High debt but low income.

Maybe. I don’t know tbh.