Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benefit and finances

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    I have just finished work, I am pension age and waiting to hear what other benefits I will be entitled to, I have a husband who doesn't have a job due to health.
    I have been in a debt management plan since 2005, now we have very little money I'm wondering if we are expected to pay creditors from the amount of benefit we get.
    Does anyone know?
    I have almost finished paying off £18,000 debt that I got left with when my partner and I split up, if you contact them they will adjust your payments, I did this when I couldn’t work and had to claim benefits. I have £56 left now and pay a £1 a month.
    Ignore the rude comments, some people hey!

I have just finished work, I am pension age and waiting to hear what other benefits I will be entitled to, I have a husband who doesn't have a job due to health.
    I have been in a debt management plan since 2005, now we have very little money I'm wondering if we are expected to pay creditors from the amount of benefit we get.
    Does anyone know?
    you will need to report about your change of circumstances to your respective Debt management company and then they can able to adjust your payments.

If your debts are under £20000 I would seriously consider looking into a debt relief order as Robert said. It is basically bankruptcy for debts under £20000 and incurs a £90 fee. There are many other things to consider with a DRO and so you should speak with a debt charity about it, but considering you have been in a plan since 2005 and seemingly getting nowhere, this might be a suitable solution.

I find gus comments a bit harsh in the way its said but he is right, many people have debts, whether on benefits or not, and been on benefits doesnt remove the obligation to pay.

Maybe you can renegotiate payments, but the debt is still there to be paid when on benefits.

It is there, unless you legally remove it via bankruptcy or DRO

Does anyone know?
    It's better to contact your existing debt management company before taking any decision. Ask your financial advisor how can they adjust your income to repay to your creditors in the future.