Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Boot Hoist Ford Kuga

  1. #1

    Boot Hoist Ford Kuga

    We are quite new to the mobility scheme, in May 2017 we received a Ford Kuga through the scheme, I use a Shoprider GoGo mobility scooter which only just fits into the boot. Due to the weight I have to remove the battery and the seat then lift the motor and chassis in one piece, but I am really struggling with, my left wrist is now giving problems.

    When we ordered the car we told the dealership our problems and what we needed, but they never once mentioned at anytime about a hoist for my scooter.

    My questions are will my scooter and a hoist both fit in my boot, it is a tight fit with just the scooter, secondly how do I go about it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    279
    I had a demo of a Kuga with a hoist at the Exeter Motability road show last summer but my Pride GoGo Traveller LX was to tall to go in the Kuga in one piece.

    Didn’t give a thought until I got back to Bristol that my scooter would have gone into the Kuga with the seat remove and I’m surprise the demonstrator did not suggest this to me.

    The hoist they were demoing was the one that’s £95 if ordered with the car but unfortunately if you order after delivery of the car you have to pay the full price and in this case it was a £1,000 plus.

    Never got the car or hoist in the end due to PIP liars so have no advice on actual use.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I had a demo of a Kuga with a hoist at the Exeter Motability road show last summer but my Pride GoGo Traveller LX was to tall to go in the Kuga in one piece.

    Didn’t give a thought until I got back to Bristol that my scooter would have gone into the Kuga with the seat remove and I’m surprise the demonstrator did not suggest this to me.

    The hoist they were demoing was the one that’s £95 if ordered with the car but unfortunately if you order after delivery of the car you have to pay the full price and in this case it was a £1,000 plus.

    Never got the car or hoist in the end due to PIP liars so have no advice on actual use.
    I realise even with a hoist the seat will need to be removed, looks like my scooter is the same as yours. I wish the dealer had been more professional, I cannot afford the extra £1000 + it looks like I will have struggle and use my walker. I am really quite angry, not a lot I can do really, roll on May 2020.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    50
    I bought a second hand Solax Hercules Free Standing hoist which I carry with me when I take my scooter, no fitting required and you can just take it with you anywhere - it weighs about 6 kilos I Think?

    It sits on top of my scooter, but I have to remove the boot cover, because of the height.

    It’s not ideal , because it only lifts 60 lb. so you would have to still take the scooter apart, but it will help with the lifting and you can wheel it around.

    There is a demo on YouTube - I bought mine for £100 on eBay, and it’s great.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike700 View Post
    I bought a second hand Solax Hercules Free Standing hoist which I carry with me when I take my scooter, no fitting required and you can just take it with you anywhere - it weighs about 6 kilos I Think?

    It sits on top of my scooter, but I have to remove the boot cover, because of the height.

    It’s not ideal , because it only lifts 60 lb. so you would have to still take the scooter apart, but it will help with the lifting and you can wheel it around.

    There is a demo on YouTube - I bought mine for £100 on eBay, and it’s great.
    I’ve never seen anything like that before and it looks quite a nifty device.

    Bad news for me though is I can only use one hand and looking at those ladder release catches rules this one out for me, shame they couldn’t design it with a single lock release mechanism.

  6. #6
    Have you spoken to Motability, they may let you cancel and order another car with a hoist fitted, I did this as, due to circumstances, needed a hoist for my electric powerchair, I paid £50 cancellation fee and will get so much of my ap back, worth asking?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I’ve never seen anything like that before and it looks quite a nifty device.

    Bad news for me though is I can only use one hand and looking at those ladder release catches rules this one out for me, shame they couldn’t design it with a single lock release mechanism.
    It’s been a godsend, and I have used it for several other purposes e.g. because I lack balance I can’t walk so trying to move a very large bag ( 900 kilos ) of chippings with a wheelbarrow was impossible until I took the lightweight lithium battery off the scooter , plugged it into the hoist , got me a bucket and attached it to the hoist, filled the bucket ( 60+ times however ) and slowly pushed the hoist ( which is on wheels ) to where the chipping were needed. Not quite a wheelbarrow but needs must!

    It takes a bit of getting used to, but I wouldn’t be without it.

    Btw. You probably could use it one handed?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags4 View Post
    Have you spoken to Motability, they may let you cancel and order another car with a hoist fitted, I did this as, due to circumstances, needed a hoist for my electric powerchair, I paid £50 cancellation fee and will get so much of my ap back, worth asking?
    Had a word today unfortunately it is a long and complicated process with no guarantee of success. Starting prices £1400 +

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarmax View Post
    Had a word today unfortunately it is a long and complicated process with no guarantee of success. Starting prices £1400 +
    There’s quite a few hoists on the auction site a lot cheaper than £1400.
    Just need someone handy 5o fit it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybressey View Post
    There’s quite a few hoists on the auction site a lot cheaper than £1400.
    Just need someone handy 5o fit it.
    Because it is a mobility car, I will need an approved specialist to fit the hoist. We are going to leave it a while.

Similar Threads

  1. Fiat 500L with boot hoist
    By Fliss in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM
  2. Ford KUGA?
    By LisaG in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM
  3. Ford Kuga
    By Stubbsy in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
  4. Ford Kuga
    By r4knt in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 07:47 PM
  5. Ford Kuga
    By ironica in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •