Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure selling. Can the price of a car go up next quarter?

Pressure selling. Can the price of a car go up next quarter?

We have outgrown our current car and it's also no longer practical. I spoke with a lovely lady at Motability and they have agreed I meet the terms to end my lease early and take out another vehicle; she has lowered the £250 early termination fee to £50.
    So, I went to a Kia dealership to look at the Sportage, we were looking at the lower range K1 or the mid range k2. The lower is £99 AP and the mid is £499 advance payment. The salesman was really piling on the pressure with us to do a deal there and then and trying to get us booked in for a test drive and to take our benefit evidence in the following day to get it signed off. He said that if we didn't do the deal before Mid March, we risk the price of the AP's going up - is this correct?

Many thanks for your help.

Ned.

Yes the AP's could go up, they could also go down. Vehicles can come onto the scheme, then go in matter of days in some circumstances, such as change in Motability criteria changing.

Though there are various elements, that Motability take into account when setting the AP; Insurance, initial price and future price, now I would imagine even what fuel it is, is of more importance than it used to be, with the thoughts on Diesel at the moment.

Consider this though, Kia, will be under pressure, from BMW with AP's which are lower than theirs for many of the BMW range, X1's and 2 Active Tourer and Grand Tourer, in a similar size (interior and boot wise) to the Sportage, then VW's in the same AP range and slightly higher in some circumstances, for the Tiguan, just as two manufactures, in competition with them. So would Kia risk sales for wants of a better word, by raising their AP's for the Sportage?

It may have been a bad month for the Salesperson, they may have been the 'pushy' type generally, maybe they jusy haven't met tatgets for that car, it may even be insde information or what they have been told, do not forget sales people are not always given the best direction, or given a lot of leeway, to do their thing to get all sorts of products shifted, though there are a lot of respectable sales people out there as well.

I wish, I could give an accurate response, but that as they say would need a crystal ball.

Thank you for your detailed response mzmps. That information has really helped me.
    Maybe it is a bad month for the garage targets. He showed me the stock they have on his computer, when I asked how quick I could possibly get one if I ordered, and it he had 16 cars in Black and many, many more cars in different colours. There must have been a stock of over 60 Sportages the garage had access to.

I definitely can't see the mid-range Sportage AP coming down when I compare it to other similar cars in the scheme; if it does come down I imagine it would only be a couple of hundred in line with the Hyundai Tucson at £299, but I think the Sportage is a nicer car.

I think I will run the risk after your advice about the other cars on the scheme to see if it does go down. It's worth it, and if it doesn't and remains at £99 or £499 then I haven't lost out anything. It will also give me a little bit of a chance to save up.

Many thanks again, you have been a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by NeurologicalNed View Post
    We have outgrown our current car and it's also no longer practical. I spoke with a lovely lady at Motability and they have agreed I meet the terms to end my lease early and take out another vehicle; she has lowered the £250 early termination fee to £50.
    So, I went to a Kia dealership to look at the Sportage, we were looking at the lower range K1 or the mid range k2. The lower is £99 AP and the mid is £499 advance payment. The salesman was really piling on the pressure with us to do a deal there and then and trying to get us booked in for a test drive and to take our benefit evidence in the following day to get it signed off. He said that if we didn't do the deal before Mid March, we risk the price of the AP's going up - is this correct?

Many thanks for your help.

Ned.
    The information you were given is not completely correct. Any change in AP will happen on 1st April, not mid March. If you sign on 31st March you get this quarters AP.

Thank you fwipperrie

If the car is no longer suitable for you to the extent that you have negotiated an early termination then I am surprised you are delaying the change, especially as one of the options has a £99 AP.

Because my wife requires a reverse camera with sensors as she has a deformed clavical and it's too painful for her to turn around whilst reversing. The £99 basic has none of the comforts and extras the midrange has. We can't afford the midrange outright. Not that it's any of your business. We shouldn't need to justify our reasons.

Because my wife requires a reverse camera with sensors as she has a deformed clavical and it's too painful for her to turn around whilst reversing. The £99 basic has none of the comforts and extras the midrange has. We can't afford the midrange outright. Not that it's any of your business. We shouldn't need to justify our reasons.
    Obviously you don't need to justify your reasons. It just seemed surprising that you were waiting given what you posted.

If it is of any help, I had a Sportage on loan for the last 3 days to test. If the rear camera is a critical factor for you, be aware that in damp/wet conditions the rear camera is next to useless. The camera lens is right in the line of fire of muck being thrown up the rear end of the car which totally covers the lens and distorts or even totally obliterates the view from the camera. This loan car even had rear mud flaps fitted and as the camera lens is central, these did not help at all. Even driving a few hundred yards on a wet road causes the lens to be caked in ‘crap’.

Also, in dusk/darkness (even on a lit street) the camera is also of no use, even with the reversing lights on, the same if the sun is shining directly onto the rear of the car. Apparently, the lens on the Sportage only has one iris setting which doesn’t cater for darkness/very bright light. My current Motability car (Toyota) has a much better camera system which is better positioned and has a variable iris to cope better with varying light conditions.

If you possibly can, do get an extended test drive or loan of a Sportage and you will see just how bad it actually is.

I also found a couple of other less than satisfactory bits such as the real life mpg being awful – your best friend will be the person at the fuel station, and there were a few constantly annoying rattles which according to the kiaowners forum is an ongoing problem with the Sportage.

To be honest, I have ruled this car out for being my next Motability car, which is a pity as on first sight and reading the brochure it appeared to be the right car. The 3 day test made all the difference, as it highlighted things that I would not have really found out on a short test drive in daylight on dry roads.

H
    Last edited by Hector; 02-14-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    If it is of any help, I had a Sportage on loan for the last 3 days to test. If the rear camera is a critical factor for you, be aware that in damp/wet conditions the rear camera is next to useless. The camera lens is right in the line of fire of muck being thrown up the rear end of the car which totally covers the lens and distorts or even totally obliterates the view from the camera. This loan car even had rear mud flaps fitted and as the camera lens is central, these did not help at all. Even driving a few hundred yards on a wet road causes the lens to be caked in ‘crap’.

Also, in dusk/darkness (even on a lit street) the camera is also of no use, even with the reversing lights on, the same if the sun is shining directly onto the rear of the car. Apparently, the lens on the Sportage only has one iris setting which doesn’t cater for darkness/very bright light. My current Motability car (Toyota) has a much better camera system which is better positioned and has a variable iris to cope better with varying light conditions.

If you possibly can, do get an extended test drive or loan of a Sportage and you will see just how bad it actually is.

I also found a couple of other less than satisfactory bits such as the real life mpg being awful – your best friend will be the person at the fuel station, and there were a few constantly annoying rattles which according to the kiaowners forum is an ongoing problem with the Sportage.

To be honest, I have ruled this car out for being my next Motability car, which is a pity as on first sight and reading the brochure it appeared to be the right car. The 3 day test made all the difference, as it highlighted things that I would not have really found out on a short test drive in daylight on dry roads.

H
    An excellent contribution which should be of assistance to many.