Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: ESA & PIP claims - consultant letter stating I cannot work

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    devon
    Posts
    91
    Just want to say good luck Kath. Keep all clinic letters, photocopy everything, even your sick notes (these easily go missing). Good luck with your surgery, i too needed heart valve surgery, symptoms similar to yours, amazing turn around once the surgery was performed. I returned to work within three months and worked for another 6 years but due to skeletal probs was medically retired.
    You were extremely lucky recovering from endocarditis, lost my dear niece 6 months ago due to this, too late starting antibiotic treatment, fit and healthy one week and gone the next . Very sad. Hope all goes well for you.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by NeurologicalNed View Post
    Hi Cath, you're welcome.
    I'm honestly not trying to scare you, just wanted to give all the information and it certainly isn't easy, but make sure you fight as hard as you can and take them all the way if necessary. The letters are by no means a given and guarantee you ESA, it seems that the DWP will do whatever they can to deny you your benefit, even when you're clearly entitled to it.
    Just provide as much information as you can and be clear and concise when you have your assessment - you can almost guarantee you will be called for one.

    In regards to my medical evidence, I asked my specialists to write letters stating their diagnosis', state what my limitations are and that I am unable to manage with basic living independence and also working. The specialists also asked me if I wished to be sent all the evidence that is sent to my GP. This means I have been able to provide EMG test results and endoscopy results to support my claims.

    Take heart in the fact that I have been on benefits for 5 years now, this year, and I haven't had to go to a tribunal yet.

    Best of luck.
    Thank you ever so much Ned. You haven’t scared me, I would much rather honest replies which will prepare me for what is to come.

    The problem I find is all my medical evidence states my medical conditions but not how it affects me. Consultants and GPs don’t seem to make notes of my symptoms as much as what they actually see on the screen during echocardiograms etc...

    Still, I do have the one letter which briefly mentions my symptoms and corresponds with the activities I find diffficult or can’t do. I’m praying this will be enough to help.

    Thanks again and sorry for my late reply, only today I’ve had energy to try and deal with my claim again.

    Cath

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Letter from consultant is always much better. They know the detail of your condition and if he says, its dangerous to work - end of! the DWP can't argue with that.
    If you are struggling to cope with daily living, washing, dressing, cooking housework - contact social services - or bite the bullet, employ a cleaner or carer and pay yourself, its not worth killing yourself over.
    Thank you Reddivine, I am hoping that my letter from my consultant will be enough. Although he told me it would be dangerous for me to work, he has been very careful in how he has worded my letter and instead has written “”...given her current functional status I think she would struggle to cope with her work”.

    I would love to employ a cleaner or carer but unfortunately I can’t afford that at the moment and am too worried about how I’ll pay my bills to keep a roof over my head in a few weeks time. I am very lucky I have my mother to help me though, she does my washing, ironing etc...and drives me everywhere. Admittedly, I’m not As house proud as I’ve always been and now I have no choice but to be more relaxed if there’s some dust!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarmax View Post
    You are right so called friend desert you, but I am fortunate my wife family are excellent, strangely my family less say different, they shunned me completely.

    You will come across negative people, avoid them they will drag you down, be grateful you are still alive and have a second chance and I believe you said you have children, anyway good luck with your journey you will need it and all the best.

    My wife always request a copy of my consultants reports, plus she keeps my appointment letters. My GP sent me for physiotherapy after one of my falls, the physiotherapist referred me to Neurophysiology, they were the first people in 12 years to ask are we getting any support, they supplied a full report and support us to claiming PIP.

    For PIP, Neurosurgeons reports, Neurophysiologists reports Neurophysiology report and letter from the GP, Neuro even made an appointment with Citizens Advice .
    As regard ESA we had a dodgy assessment by ATOS, my GP and MP soon sorted that out.
    Thank you Oscarmax, I am glad to hear you’ve had help from professionals who supplied a full report.

    Yes you are right, I have a daughter aged 13. It is just me and her, apart from my parents who help as much as they can. It can be difficult but we do what we can. It’s very sorry to hear you were shunned by family, it really is awful. I have family who are under the impression that if you don’t make the effort to visit them, they don’t bother with you. At present I can’t visit as they live too far away and the journey is too much for me, so I haven’t heard from them since Christmas. It hurts but what can I do. It just adds to the stress of the situation doesn’t it. Anyway, thanks again and I wish you all the best.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby123 View Post
    Hi Cath

    As nukecad said a lot of people get esa with no problems,first time I applied I didn't even send any medical evidence with my form and I got the highest rate without them needing to see me of course medical evidence can be helpful but the most important thing is how you describe the affects your condition has on you on your form so put as much detail in it as you can.

    Good luck.
    Hi Toby

    Thanks so much for your reply. That is really positive and I’m glad to hear you had the highest rate without any need for medical evidence. I’ve heard so many horror stories it’s great to hear.

    I’m worried now that I may not have described my condition in enough detail on my form, as I had help from a lady who works for a company who helps disabled people claim benefits. She told me not to waffle and go into too much detail, and just to stick to the main facts. She wrote it for me and some sections only have a few sentences. She wanted to focus on the main issues, although I could have written much more.

    Oh well, it’s been sent off now. I just hope it’s enough.

    Thanks again

    Cath

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by anniea View Post
    Just want to say good luck Kath. Keep all clinic letters, photocopy everything, even your sick notes (these easily go missing). Good luck with your surgery, i too needed heart valve surgery, symptoms similar to yours, amazing turn around once the surgery was performed. I returned to work within three months and worked for another 6 years but due to skeletal probs was medically retired.
    You were extremely lucky recovering from endocarditis, lost my dear niece 6 months ago due to this, too late starting antibiotic treatment, fit and healthy one week and gone the next . Very sad. Hope all goes well for you.
    Hi Annie

    Thank you for your reply. I am so sorry to hear about your niece. This has really touched me, as I left it such a long time before seeking medical help thinking it was just the flu. I really am lucky to still be here, and it’s upsetting to hear of others who weren’t so lucky. It’s such a rare condition that people aren’t aware of the symptoms.

    On the positive side I am really pleased to hear you recovered well after surgery and a new valve. That is encouraging, as at the moment I feel my life is on hold.

    I am keeping records of everything and today I finally managed to find some energy to get a file and polly pockets and put everything into order. I feel better for it!

    Thank you again

    Cath

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    344
    Hello Cath123

    It sounds like today has been more positive and that you are doing exactly the right thing of keeping a file of everything.

    It may be a help later (should you need it, but let’s hope you don’t), to keep a daily diary of how things are for you. What you can or cannot manage to do. How you do or don’t manage each day regarding the descriptors etc.

  8. #28
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    5,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Cath123 View Post
    I’m worried now that I may not have described my condition in enough detail on my form, as I had help from a lady who works for a company who helps disabled people claim benefits. She told me not to waffle and go into too much detail, and just to stick to the main facts. She wrote it for me and some sections only have a few sentences. She wanted to focus on the main issues, although I could have written much more.
    Good to hear that you have got help making your claims.

    She is quite correct about trying to keep things short and to the point, but still making the points that count.

    Many people make the mistake of writing way too much, about their conditions and other things that are not realy relevant to getting their award(s).
    This just means that the HCP/Decision Maker has to read though lots of stuff that they don't need to see, and may miss the bits that are relevent.

    The lady you saw will have helped with hundreds if not thousands of claims and so will know what works best.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by buble48 View Post
    Hello Cath123

    It sounds like today has been more positive and that you are doing exactly the right thing of keeping a file of everything.

    It may be a help later (should you need it, but let’s hope you don’t), to keep a daily diary of how things are for you. What you can or cannot manage to do. How you do or don’t manage each day regarding the descriptors etc.
    Thank you Buble!

    I guess it’s all just a waiting game now my form for PIP has been sent off.

    Thank you for the advice to keep a diary, most of my days are pretty much the same so it shouldn’t be too difficult for me to do!

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Good to hear that you have got help making your claims.

    She is quite correct about trying to keep things short and to the point, but still making the points that count.

    Many people make the mistake of writing way too much, about their conditions and other things that are not realy relevant to getting their award(s).
    This just means that the HCP/Decision Maker has to read though lots of stuff that they don't need to see, and may miss the bits that are relevent.

    The lady you saw will have helped with hundreds if not thousands of claims and so will know what works best.
    Thank you nukecad

    Yes you’re right, she will have helped many people so I guess I just have to have faith and wait and see. I’m a worrier and although the process takes time and I understand that, it’s the not knowing one way or the other that gets me!

    Your message has made me feel better about the application form and the little she has written on there. She has stuck to the relevant points whereas I would have rambled on!

Similar Threads

  1. DWP Letter to GP when found Fit-for-Work
    By nukecad in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2017, 05:01 AM
  2. Neuro Consultant - yearly check-up
    By Lighttouch in forum Health - help & advice on health issues for disabled people
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 04:12 PM
  3. GP letter or consultant
    By Alex291508 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 11:36 AM
  4. Wondering why my consultant orthopaedic surgeon wants 2nd opinion!?
    By spencer69 in forum Health - help & advice on health issues for disabled people
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 09:17 AM
  5. ESA - How can a nurse legally overrule a Consultant?
    By gbhxu in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •