Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bipolar support esa support group

Bipolar support esa support group

Hi
    I only came across this forum by chance.
    I have bipolar 2, anxiety and PTSD
    I have been in the esa support group since 2010
    I was wondering if I will be having a reassessment at all.
    It seems I have been on it a long time without having anything.
    I have just recieved a letter to say I will get a slight increase for christmas
    I have had two sessions with a psychologist which did nothing for me and I still see my psychiatrist.
    Thanks for any replies.

ESA is an ongoing benefit, though 8 years is a long time to not be reassessed! Try not to worry about it, there is almost nothing you can do to know when.

It may help to try and keep up to date with any medical evidence you have / get until then

Hello doogydawg

It sounds like you have fortunate not to be reassessed for nearly eight years.

I believe some other of the forum users have gone several years passed their expected reassessment date.

You can phone ESA to ask when they next expect you to be reassessed although this may be less than accurate as I believe during busy periods they can extend your time on ESA, as they may have already done with yours.

I was awarded two years ESA support group and bang on two years later I received my next ESA50. My current award is for three years but I would like to go for as long as yours in between being reassessed

I hope your health soon improves.

It may be a good idea to collect medical evidence or keep a diary of how you are effected, ready in case you do receive an ESA50 through the door, this year.
    Last edited by buble48; 04-02-18 at 21:29.

You will be reassessed and they may not allow it to keep being paper based.

I had two which were and no problem then I was advised theyd changed procedure and weren't allowed to do more than one asssessment paper based - I do not know if that's set in law, someone else may know, despite being told it was dangerous to do an assessment they insisted.

There are limits to how long you can be left, I think eight years is the limit, but I may be thinking of PIP.

My longest time without assessment was four years but since then it's been several a year.

I've recently had my first ESA50 since 2013, had my prognosis date extended twice without assessment; so yes they have been leaving some of us alone. (PS. I'm WRAG not SG).

Quote Originally Posted by doogydawg View Post
    I have just recieved a letter to say I will get a slight increase for christmas
    Don't get too excited, that's just your £10 Xmas bonus paid for one week only, the letters are badly worded.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sorry to sound a bit thick.
    What is meant by paper based.
    And paper based assessment considering I have only ever filled out the first form at the very start.
    So I have got this right..if you have to go for an assessment you are only given a certain amount of time before you are called again. one year or two etc. So I can really expect one sometime this year then?
    Yes I know about the £10 just for christmas. Ive had one every year I spend it wisely.

Edit...

I did find this on the forum from Nukecad.
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...rt-Group-Award

Could be that they have looked at my case a few years ago and gone off the paperwork and not called me in? or would they let me know.
    I have had over the years letters saying that my money would continue at a certain rate.
    Last edited by doogydawg; 05-02-18 at 08:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki2017 View Post
    You will be reassessed and they may not allow it to keep being paper based.

I had two which were and no problem then I was advised theyd changed procedure and weren't allowed to do more than one asssessment paper based - I do not know if that's set in law, someone else may know, despite being told it was dangerous to do an assessment they insisted.

There are limits to how long you can be left, I think eight years is the limit, but I may be thinking of PIP.

My longest time without assessment was four years but since then it's been several a year.
    It’s not set in law. They just know that they can’t declare you fit for work without a face to face.

Has anyone got the number I should be ringing to ask.
    If I do ring them will they then look at my case and think 'ooh he hasnt been done for a while etc' and trigger a reassessment

So, yes it could be that you have been reassessed on paperwork only without a Face to Face interview.
    They should send you a letter if they do this, but don't always.

It's more likely that you had been given a long time between reassessments anyway, and they just extended it without any assessment because they were busy.
    (They have been doing this with lots of people while they have been too busy rolling out Universal Credit, rather than doing any assessment they just change the date to later).

If you want to ring them then the freephone number for the ESA helpline is 0800 169 0310
    Expect to be on hold for up to 40 minuites before you even get to talk to someone.
    When you do get through then ask them for "My prognosis date for when I will have my next reassessment".
    Just calling them to ask should not trigger anything, the telephone operators can't change the date themselves.
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-02-18 at 11:17.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hello Doogydawg

Further on from the info from Nukecad, I have found if I ring them first thing in the morning around 8.00am the wait to get through on the phone is less.