Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Motability Operations Profits

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Whenever the gov. start something like this in the press it's usually a sign that they are trying to sneak in something under the smokescreen.
    Something like their own 1.8% pay rise maybe?

https://www.newstatesman.com/2018/03...ary-politician
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by colin_21 View Post
    Speaking of ways to measure their performance and the satisfaction of their customers and the lack of competition... Dont you feel the need for more offers, or perhaps different levels of motability? I mean for example I would need a second car in my family, for my wife, also disabled. But she wouldnt use the 20k miles per year, so why would we pay another £200 per month when we dont use the car as much as our main one? It would certainly make sense to have different prices for different mileages... Because its reflected in the price of the car at the end of the 3 years of Motability... So why dont we have the option to go for a lower mileage and a lower monthly payment? How about a package: car and electric wheelchair? Maybe a lower mileage and if the numbers dont add up... a higher payment, with something on top of the mobility component, but with the service and insurance from Motability... Competition would sort this out, I'm sure somebody would look at this opportunity if they had to come up with ways to please the customers more than the other guy... As long as they dont have competition, we cant say we are getting the best car and service for our money, there's nothing to compare with.
    Commuting to and from work only uses 500miles/week of my allowance... (24,000 miles a year), add on leisure driving to the shops and taking the kids out and I’m running closer to 30,000 miles a year!

20,000 miles was realistic when I was married and living 20 miles from work, but a change of address with my new girlfriend has pushed me 50 miles from work. It’s not easy to change jobs and keep the good salary I have, so I have no choice but to exceed the allowance.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Paul I know, I exceeded the 60k myself. But I don't understand what your point is. I was saying that maybe different levels of mileage would be a better service for us, the disabled motorists. You have 2 examples already of people that would be interested in a cheaper motability car with a lower mileage allowance. I wasn't saying that the current allowance should be lowered. Even better: let us have the choice of moving from one level to another if our mileage needs change, not just a simple 5p tarrif on the extra miles. (is it 5p? I dont want to spread false information).
    And that's just one idea on how Motability could improve their offer and services for us, instead of capitalizing on "savings" and paying more his managing director.

LE. Checked Motability website, it is 5p... "The mileage allowance is 60,000 miles over a 3 year agreement. Any additional miles will be charged at a cost of 5p per mile. For 5 year agreements, the mileage limit is 100,000 miles."
    Last edited by colin_21; 03-08-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Another piece from the Daily Mail, copied the link from a post originally from whichmobility forum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...spruce-up.html

They chose a picture of a car in a blue badge space, which shows whoever put it there wasn't paying attention to say the least, but think it was a slightly biased picture as they have been bahsing the scheme and the cars for a while.

The picture chosen by the daily mail does not seem to show a motability car as its too old. It is just a badly parked car in a disabled space.

All in all I think that the scheme is managed fairly well. It does what it is set up to do and does what its meant to do. It is one of the rare examples of things actually being run properly. It appears to me that they have seen that motability have a pot of money and want to raid it. Motability have reserves as it is in the car leasing market and very dependant on the price of second hand cars (the VW diesel scandal, value and demand for diesels cars, the fluctuation in the value of the pound with brexit, people loosing PIP entitlement and having to return vehicles early etc) and it is sensible to be ready to cope with unforeseen circumstances. The reserves should also help reduce the cost of future lending.

The good thing about the motability scheme is that it is optional, which means that you can choose to join or not, depending on what you want and need. If I was going to look at things to change it would be PIP itself as it does not take into account a persons needs and the cost of those needs (be that hoists, steering aids, autos, big vehicles and especially people that need WAVs as they are so expensive).

I don't think competition would improve things as some have suggested. Like Gas etc I think in the long run prices would go up In the short run maybe we would get a better deal with companies competing but I think they would spend more competing against each other, cut service, cut range and ultimately if the companies went bust who would be left picking up the pieces.

The amount management get seems excessive, although I don't know what someone in an equivalent job, say at a company like avis etc gets. The office refurb was quite a few years ago now and I think quite nice and did improve building access. I don't know if the amount spent on the refit of the motability offices was worth it but the Westminster refit is estimated at between 4 - 7 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    The picture chosen by the daily mail does not seem to show a motability car as its too old. It is just a badly parked car in a disabled space.

All in all I think that the scheme is managed fairly well. It does what it is set up to do and does what its meant to do. It is one of the rare examples of things actually being run properly. It appears to me that they have seen that motability have a pot of money and want to raid it. Motability have reserves as it is in the car leasing market and very dependant on the price of second hand cars (the VW diesel scandal, value and demand for diesels cars, the fluctuation in the value of the pound with brexit, people loosing PIP entitlement and having to return vehicles early etc) and it is sensible to be ready to cope with unforeseen circumstances. The reserves should also help reduce the cost of future lending.

The good thing about the motability scheme is that it is optional, which means that you can choose to join or not, depending on what you want and need. If I was going to look at things to change it would be PIP itself as it does not take into account a persons needs and the cost of those needs (be that hoists, steering aids, autos, big vehicles and especially people that need WAVs as they are so expensive).

I don't think competition would improve things as some have suggested. Like Gas etc I think in the long run prices would go up In the short run maybe we would get a better deal with companies competing but I think they would spend more competing against each other, cut service, cut range and ultimately if the companies went bust who would be left picking up the pieces.

The amount management get seems excessive, although I don't know what someone in an equivalent job, say at a company like avis etc gets. The office refurb was quite a few years ago now and I think quite nice and did improve building access. I don't know if the amount spent on the refit of the motability offices was worth it but the Westminster refit is estimated at between 4 - 7 billion.
    Competition I feel detrimental to scheme.