Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost UC50. Any advice please!

That’s exactly what I said to her, SD means its tracked every step of the way AND signed for but according to her it’s not always the case. Her actual words were “there are thousands of SD letters going to DWP and it’s impossible to get a signature for everyone”. So it seems Royal Mail don’t offer the service that they advertise and that we pay extra for.

She lied or she doesn't know the difference between SD and SF (signed for) - both are possible!

SD exists specifically because it is fully tracked from you every step to delivery before 1pm (or 9am if you pay extra) with a signature at that named address only or it goes to a collection depot (obviously the second option won't happen with distribution centres). There's absolutely no option for it to be delivered and not signed for. It's irrelevant how busy the depot is. SD items are always kept completely separate to other post, SF is not.

I very much doubt a huge number of people pay for SD as its so expensive to do.

I completely agree with you and I had a long debate with her on the phone about said issues but she was adamant that she was correct. She was extremely patronising and blasé about the whole issue and then ended up hanging up when I asked for her name. Even though it does seem that they don’t get a signature for all SD, if mine has reached the handling site it proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki2017 View Post
    She lied or she doesn't know the difference between SD and SF (signed for) - both are possible!

SD exists specifically because it is fully tracked from you every step to delivery before 1pm (or 9am if you pay extra) with a signature at that named address only or it goes to a collection depot (obviously the second option won't happen with distribution centres). There's absolutely no option for it to be delivered and not signed for. It's irrelevant how busy the depot is. SD items are always kept completely separate to other post, SF is not.

I very much doubt a huge number of people pay for SD as its so expensive to do.
    We know what the PO rules are about SF/SD, but the fact is that DWP refuse to sign for individual letters.

The DWP say it would take too long, and is impractical, to sign for the hundreds of thousands of SF/SD letters they receive.
    Which believe it or not is reasonable.
    Work it out, at say 5 seconds just to sign for each letter it would take around an hour and a half to individually sign for a thousand. (RSI claim from the person who has to sign for them?) That's not including the time taken to pick each letter up, scan the delivery number into the little hand held signature terminal, etc.

The PO can't force anyone to sign for a delivery.

Which gives the PO a dilema-
    Strictly to their rules if a signature is refused then the PO should return the item to the sender.
    But would you be happy if your benefit stopped, because your aplication/questionaire/letter had been returned, because the DWP would not sign for it?

The PO know that there is a possibility that your benefit could be stopped if they don't deliver the item.
    So the PO bend their rules to work in your interest and deliver it without a signature.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-09-2018 at 07:01 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Yep that what she told me, that they don't sign for everything BUT as part of paying for SD apparently guarantees a signature make sure you get a refund for what you paid for, they are sending me a cheque for the amount I paid ( £6.45 ) .

Good to hear that at least they are refunding your fee.

I suppose that they could try and explain all this at the counter when you pay for the signed service or special delivery, but it would probably take to long to explain it fully so it's easier just to take your money and say nothing. (and it makes them profit).

Of course many people get an added sense of security by sending mail to the DWP 'signed for' or 'special delivery', which is not to be underestimated.
    Even a false sense of security can be a comfort.

In practice though free proof of posting does just the same job as the DWP are not going to sign for individual items anyway.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

If they're not signing it's misadvertising and they are liable for that (I asked trading standards), if you have proof you should inform them. Mine have always been signed for (with two exceptions).

SD is far more expensive because of this guarantee, insurance upto £500 and tracking. I was told they signed for the SD sacks at the depot (all SD go in special sacks) so not individual letters but the sacks, not that they ignored them. Doing so makes Royal Mail liable for compensation (agsin it's part of a claim and isn't just to do with the cost of SD but extra insurance).

I'm really worried centres are being allowed to not sign. I rely heavily on this service for important documents not only dwp ones who could easily claim the same thing.

I'll still use it as the insurance is invaluable and you don't get that with other services.

I'm learning something new everyday.

It is false advertising, as long as my UC50 has got there now, I'd be ok with that, just can't be dealing with the stress of filling another and re sending with my evidence.

Now I know they
    don't actually sign for individual letter the only real reason I'd use SD service for in the future would be for the speed other than that I'd probably just send paperwork via POP.

So it seems DWP are not the only ones that make it up as they go along!

Just to clarify site B is in Wolverhampton.

I'd advise sending by RECORDED then you can track and they have to sign. So when you phone up you can say "but someone yout end signed for it on xxxx day"
    COPY every form you fill in, so when you have to fill it in AGAIN, you have record of what you answered!